Regular Member Meeting 2016 08 09
- 1 Time and Location
- 2 Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- 3 Recognition
- 4 New Members
- 5 Old Business
- 6 New Business
- 7 Director Reports
- 8 Project Awesome Reports
- 9 Member Reports
- 10 Adjournment
- 11 IRC Log
Time and Location
- August 9th, 2016
- Called to order at 7:50PM by Ethan
- Members present: Ethan W., Tom, Ethan M., Nancy, Bobby, Ken, Kevin, Enrique
- Members remote: ITechGeek, Mirage, Mike C.
- Others present: Tony
- Quorum met.
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- We should edit the bylaws so the board of directors' terms are staggered. Having a complete board turnover last year was not great.
- The White House is hosting a National Manufacturing Day (https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/08/08/call-action-celebrate-manufacturing-today-and-tomorrow) and part of the aim of the event is to "Linking manufacturers to the Maker movement by serving as the anchor tenant for a regional makerspace or supporting maker spaces in schools and after-school programs." I'm not sure what this means for HacDC except that it's a national makerspace/hackerspace event at the White House, down the road, with people who know what government programs can support hackerspaces. The event is Friday, October 7th. If there's a possibility of HacDC having an info table or booth, it sounds like a good idea to me...
- The memorandum of understanding (MOU) with High School Technology Services that allows them to use HacDC's classroom during business hours is expiring. They would like to renew it.
Four month extension to the MOU passed with 5 in favor, no opposition.
Vice President's Report
IT systems are functioning nominally. Replaced the classroom Wifi since the 5Ghz hardware was not stable. Also got the classroom room mic working for the web conferencing. Need to fix whatever broke the WebRTC compatibility. Also fixed a Wifi AP for the church and provided general email support. Haven't set up the Linux repo mirrors yet, plan on doing that soon.
Still fixing the issue that I didn't bill some people in June. Generally things are OK. See sheet below. File:HacDC 2016 - Report-8 (1).pdf
All Starlight accounts also provide SMTP/POP/IMAP email service.
ReverseProxy for HTTP/HTTPS sites on HacDC servers are now redundant.
Project Awesome Reports
Nothing to report.
Nothing to report.
Project Electron Microscope (SEM)
Our President Julia has volunteer to cover the delta costs from PA SEM funds to purchase the digital vacuum gauge. Need to work on ordering that.
Project Optical Table Robot (OTR)
We received the DIY CRISPR kit and inventoried it. We've made the small classroom fridge a "NO FOOD" project fridge because we now have bacteria cultures in there. The cultures and DNA and RNA require refrigeration. (The bacteria is E. Coli HME63, if anyone is curious.) The recipe ("protocol") takes multiple days due to incubation periods, so we're going through it once to verify we can actually do it with the equipment on-hand. Expect we'll have materials left over to repeat the experiment several more times.
We have had several fantastic meetings and are starting to break out in to individual teams based on project area outlined in the Spaceblimp 6 page. Please email me or one of the lists if you would like to be on the firstname.lastname@example.org email list. We are looking for members to contribute their PA funds for PA Spaceblimp and are taking individual donations that can include parts/components. The Funding team would like to ask the membership about adding a special Spaceblimp donation link directly on the HacDC website, possibly close below the HacDC donation link on the left rail. The Spaceblimp donation link would be up for no more than 6 months.
Kevin reports the FLIR One software on Linux compiles OK and complains no device is connected (which is correct).
Adjourned at 945 PM
- 2016-08-09 19:28 -!- thomisthoss(~email@example.com) has joined #HacDC
- 2016-08-09 19:29 <thomisthoss> foo bar
- 2016-08-09 19:33 <thomisthoss> baz
- 2016-08-09 19:39 <thomisthoss> anybody here?
- 2016-08-09 19:45 <ITechGeek> No
- 2016-08-09 19:54 <ITechGeek> Yeah
- 2016-08-09 19:55 -!- HacDC_(6058c64d@gateway/web/freenode/session) has joined #HacDC
- 2016-08-09 19:56 -!- HacDC_(6058c64d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined #HacDC
- 2016-08-09 19:59 <ITechGeek> 19:13:51 <juri_> and.. back to the clinic.
- 2016-08-09 19:59 <thomisthoss> meting called to order by Ethan at 1950
- 2016-08-09 19:59 <thomisthoss> Members present, ITG, ethan, tom, ethan, nancy, bobby, ken
- 2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> others present, tony
- 2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> we're short of quorum but nobody has anything on the agenda
- 2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> august in DC i guess
- 2016-08-09 20:03 <thomisthoss> introductions
- 2016-08-09 20:04 <thomisthoss> kevin and enrique showed up
- 2016-08-09 20:04 <mirage335> I'm here.
- 2016-08-09 20:05 <thomisthoss> ok good, we've got quorum and can vote on stuff
- 2016-08-09 20:05 <thomisthoss> but nobody has anything to vote on
- 2016-08-09 20:09 -!- summakor(~firstname.lastname@example.org) has joined #HacDC
- 2016-08-09 20:09 <ITechGeek> No to talking, yes to IRC q:
- 2016-08-09 20:11 <mchelen2> i'm here too
- 2016-08-09 20:13 <summakor> hi mike
- 2016-08-09 20:14 <ITechGeek> Enrique should have access to all pages now
- 2016-08-09 20:15 <ITechGeek> Categories are edited just like pages
- 2016-08-09 20:17 <ITechGeek> Files can be uploaded
- 2016-08-09 20:19 <ITechGeek> There is an embed file button on the edit page
- 2016-08-09 20:20 <ITechGeek> https://www.google.com/#q=editing+wikipedia+for+dummies
- 2016-08-09 20:24 <ITechGeek> Juri was on the board last yr
- 2016-08-09 20:25 <thomisthoss> on the left panel there is an upload file link also
- 2016-08-09 20:27 <ITechGeek> Print the bylaws changes, put on a clipboard and get people to sign
- 2016-08-09 20:28 <ITechGeek> Probably take 6-12 months for enough sigs
- 2016-08-09 20:32 <thomisthoss> mirage are our new starlight e-mail addressed by @hacdc.org?
- 2016-08-09 20:33 <thomisthoss> ...no i guess not as it would conflict with google apps
- 2016-08-09 20:34 <mirage335> thomisthoss: @starlight.srv.hacdc.org
- 2016-08-09 20:35 <mirage335> We *could* manage our own @hacdc.org email through Starlight, but I'd suggest putting that off until next year.
- 2016-08-09 20:35 <mirage335> Right now, the email isn't redundant through Nebula.
- 2016-08-09 20:39 <ITechGeek> The major reason our email is hosted by Gapps is by outsourcing the hosting, we don't have to worry about our email being and no one having the time to work on it
- 2016-08-09 20:40 <mirage335> +1
- 2016-08-09 20:40 <ITechGeek> Just like the majority of what it takes to run a web site, is handled by Dreamhost
- 2016-08-09 20:41 <mirage335> ITechGeek: A major reason for providing email service on Starlight is to relay for sites that need/want to manage their own mail. There has already been a request for that capability.
- 2016-08-09 20:43 <ITechGeek> I didn't say anything against having starlight.srv.hacdc.org MX, just moving @hacdc.org to starlight
- 2016-08-09 20:43 <mirage335> Right, and I agree with you.
- 2016-08-09 20:46 <ITechGeek> Is anyone using starlight for outgoing email?
- 2016-08-09 20:49 <ITechGeek> https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491
- 2016-08-09 20:51 <foxlet> I use Mailgun.
- 2016-08-09 20:56 <ITechGeek> So do I
- 2016-08-09 20:56 <mirage335> Not yet. The issue was more or less incoming mail more than outgoing.
- 2016-08-09 20:56 <ITechGeek> HacDC shouldn't use mailgun for Starlight unless HacDC is prepared to pay a bill from some random member's misconfigured script
- 2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> Hmm.
- 2016-08-09 20:57 <ITechGeek> Mailgun is free for the first 10k msgs, after that they charge
- 2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> Well, in any case, Starlight runs its own email server.
- 2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> As do I.
- 2016-08-09 20:57 <ITechGeek> But because of the reverse DNS, some servers might not want to accept email from it
- 2016-08-09 20:58 <ITechGeek> But it looks like we can relay 10k emails through Gapps
- 2016-08-09 20:58 <ITechGeek> 10k / day
- 2016-08-09 21:00 <ITechGeek> So we can whitelist the church's IP on Gapps, and you could configure Starlight to send all emails out through Gapps if planning to use for outgoing
- 2016-08-09 21:05 <thomisthoss> Ok.
- 2016-08-09 21:09 <ITechGeek> What are we voting on?
- 2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> voting on new MOU
- 2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> with HSTS
- 2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> renewing the same MOU
- 2016-08-09 21:09 <ITechGeek> Abstain
- 2016-08-09 21:10 <thomisthoss> passes with 5 in favor and some abstentions and mirage unheard from
- 2016-08-09 21:10 <thomisthoss> four month extension
- 2016-08-09 21:11 <thomisthoss> uh, the timestamp is about 8 minutes fast?
- 2016-08-09 21:12 <mirage335> I would have abstained from that vote anyway.
- 2016-08-09 21:19 <ITechGeek> Meeting over?
- 2016-08-09 21:26 <thomisthoss> no
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> nope
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <thomisthoss> chelen are you here?
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> mchelen2, hello?
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <mchelen2> yah
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> report?
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <mchelen2> no sorry :(
- 2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> mirage335 ?
- 2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> here
- 2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> On the wiki.
- 2016-08-09 21:28 <summakor> oh, reading that report
- 2016-08-09 21:28 <summakor> ok
- 2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> Thanks for asking.
- 2016-08-09 21:31 <ITechGeek> CRISPR is why Julia said she's avoiding HacDC
- 2016-08-09 21:31 <ITechGeek> She doesn't want anyone weaponizing what she has.
- 2016-08-09 21:32 <juri_> ACTION returns from clinic.
- 2016-08-09 21:32 <juri_> I am not dead. technically.
- 2016-08-09 21:33 <ITechGeek> You missed them talking about CRISPR
- 2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> Than talking about Ethan farting
- 2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> I meant then
- 2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> I guess they're still talking about CRISPR
- 2016-08-09 21:35 <mirage335> juri_: Get well.
- 2016-08-09 21:36 <rojisan_roaming> do we send juri to rio for healthcare?
- 2016-08-09 21:36 <thomisthoss> Huzzah, Juri, so glad to hear of your continued not being dead
- 2016-08-09 21:37 <ITechGeek> No, she has to deal w/ a third world medical system
- 2016-08-09 21:37 <ITechGeek> A medical system where you can only get what you can afford
- 2016-08-09 21:38 <rojisan_roaming> such cruelty
- 2016-08-09 21:38 <juri_> it's been a rough month. i think i should just announce that i will bu unwell for a month of 2017, an that seemo to be the pattern.
- 2016-08-09 21:38 <rojisan_roaming> as long as you pick the right month
- 2016-08-09 21:42 <rojisan_roaming> i was thinking maybe if we get juri some zika, she could be an nih case
- 2016-08-09 21:51 <ITechGeek> Zita would be scared of what juri has
- 2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> adjourned
- 2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> at 945
- 2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> good night