|Status:||Full member 2010.11.09|
|Email:||cirrus thatatsymbol gatohaus.com|
|Location:||DC (Mount Pleasant)|
I'm a senior imaging scientist (or so said my job title) looking to find creative types (art, science, tech, or "wild cards") to fulfill the social void that seems so common these days. My background is in theatre, photography, astronomy instrumentation, image processing and, most recently, long wave hyperspectral imaging.
 Project Ideas
- Soft boiled egg cooker
- small temperature controlled water bath
- hold somewhere between 1 and 4 eggs
- temperature of 160F with <2F error/flucuation
- Search for non-G,A,C,T based life
- very little research has gone into looking for different forms of life here on Earth
- most of what searching has been done would only be able to detect the kinds of life we're already familiar with
- the ubiquitous assumption is that there is but one Darwin-esque tree of life.. but there's nothing to have prevented multiple trees from sprouting, actually it would be strange if there was only one
- I have no ideas on how to start such a search and my skillset has little to do with such things, which makes it sound like more fun
 Organizational Ideas
- organize wiki pages containing rules and such
- considered also moving rules and meeting pages to their own namespace.. too much effort
- calendar of non-hacdc events from around the region
- Started, see http://jbwa.net/HacDC.php
- tweak wiki's css: headings, background, whitespace honoring
 Sparsely sampled journal
 14 Feb 2014
- Lighting for the new shelves in the basement are functional.
- Need better power supply and to tidy things up a bit.
 17 Mar 2013
Thanks to the instructions here (PrusaMendel), I've been able to try a couple of prints. Lots to learn, from CAD software to maintaining the printer.
 12 Mar 2013
For some reason I stepped up to be Katie's replacement as secretary, as she becomes treasurer.
 22 Jan 2013
We've recently moved from Old Town to Mount Pleasant, about 5 blocks from HacDC. :-) So maybe I'll actually be able to do stuff at Hac now. I'm interested in learning how to use the 3D printers, for a start.
 09 Nov 2010
Became full HacDC member. Started paying and received approval at member meeting, Regular Member Meeting 2010 11 09. Received key to space.
 05 June 2010
My wife and I went to the last lightning talks (June 2010) and were pretty impressed. I have a project I'd like to work on (and would welcome help from someone interested in machining or programming) but am unsure of how to 'jump in' to HACDC. The project is not wholly new, but is uncommon enough to be interesting (to me anyway). It's to transform a flatbed scanner into a large format scanning back for an 8x10 camera. There's a secondary project of transforming a scanner into a portrait camera.
...hmmm, why am I writing this on my user page, this should be under proposed projects....
Also, I recently started helping out an artist, RosemaryCovey, at the Torpedo Factory with the technical side of her creations. We're heading toward forming a group that blends art and science in an attempt to de-isolate these communities. We are still shaping the idea and looking for interested people (we just started at the end of May 2010). Rosemary suffered a major loss, this idea had to be dropped.