HacDC's Optical Table
Operational, standing on pneumatic legs.
Optical and mechanical hardware in progress. Gantry is planned to enable ultra high-accuracy and wide area CNC milling, laser cutting, and 3D printing.
Not known with certainty, some estimations follow:
- Rigidity sufficient for safe mechanical use.
- Tapped holes.
- Steel surface, epoxy/metal honeycomb base.
- Can be kept level to within ~15nm.
- Heavy - 800 pounds (350kg).
- Pneumatic mounting.
- Big (~40x40mm) aluminum extrusions, sufficient to equip entire table with a gantry.
- Lens and mirror mounts.
- Wide variety of optical elements, lenses, mirrors, beam splitters, fibers, telescope, microscope, etc.
- High voltage (up to 6kW) power supplies.
High voltage power supplies and powerful lasers are dangerous, with a lot of subtle "gotchas". Don't play with them unless highly experienced.