Annual Meeting 2017
From HacDC Wiki
From the HacDC Bylaws, Article III, Section 2:
- At the annual meeting, the voting members shall elect the Board of Directors, review and vote on the standing rules and policies of the corporation, receive reports on the activities of the corporation, approve the budget and determine the direction of corporation in the coming year.
Time and Location
January 28th, 2017 at 4pm
Meeting called to order at
Ben Enrique Julia Ankeet Andrew Matt Ken Tom Kevin
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
In 2016 HacDC held nearly 100 free workshops on microcontroller programming, 3D design and 3D printing. We also started workshops teaching people about PC hardware and software with several PC Rebuilds events, a couple of Linux Install nights and about a dozen Introduction to Linux workshops. The Amateur Radio Club also held dozens of meetings including many guest speakers, and participated in national and international contests including field excursions to the White House, National Parks, Lincoln's Cottage and more. HacDC itself had three long days of off-site demos at the USA Science and Engineering Festival and RobotFest. HARC also participated in the Silver Spring Maker Faire, enabled remote online access to the W3HAC station and set up a repeater. We also had a few one-off events like the Apple v FBI discussion, a Kerbal Space Program gathering, a couple of Hackathons run by hackster.io, and we fixed the LCD TV! Last but not least, we assembled, launched, tracked and recovered Spaceblimp 6 and got some beautiful images and video from the stratosphere (104,000ft!).
Through our partnership with High School Tech Services HacDC has hosted classes on project management, programming fundamentals, object oriented programming, HTML5 and more.
Besides the workshops, events and projects, we also continued to reorganize ourselves in our new space after our late 2015 move, we renewed a $500 sponsorship from Accelebrate and obtained a new sponsorship from Newark element 14, we got over $550 in donations from federal employees via the CFC process. We restored our reserves to 6 months of expenses, we cleaned up the Standing Rules and some other parts of the Wiki. Several of our members attended the Nation of Makers meeting and continue to be involved in the new national organization.
HARC: 132 exams were given in 2016. 116 new licenses or upgrades. We participated in 16 radio contests and 22 National Park on the Air events, including the National Monument and Presidents Park(White House). We purchased and installed a 440mhz repeater.
nice LED lights
Vice President's Report
- See the January meeting minutes for numbers. We have about 7-8 months of full operating expenses in reserve but we're close to breaking even month-to-month, especially with the coming 5% rent increase.
- We are too reliant on membership dues (95%+ of our revenue) and the dues are pretty high already. We should look at getting more donations or applying for grants.
- To raise more than $1,500/yr in donations, we need a solicitation permit, which we should and will apply for shortly.
- Apparently HacDC has never filed tax returns with DC Govt since it was founded. Once we start (this year), even though we've been tax-exempt, we may get fined for not filing returns as expected. We should clear that up before looking at grants.
I was Secretary and a member of the BOD this past year.
Has been a good year. No drama. More volunteers getting involved. Maybe next year we can grow and do really awesome things.
Project Awesome Reports
Audit Committee Report
Nobody bothered to form a committee so there's no report. All financial statements including receipts for all purchases are at the space, in the BOD locker, treasurer's folder. The Dwolla statements include member names, the rest don't. -Enrique
The bylaws amendment has enough signatures to consider. The bylaws amendment below passed by unanimous acclamation.
- Proposed Amendment to Bylaws Article II, Section 6: Add "For substantial cause, the Board of Directors may indefinitely suspend a member's access to the space by a 2/3 majority vote of the board. By voting at an official meeting with quorum, members may reinstate or suspend, access or membership, for any member whose access has been suspended by the board. The board may suspend the access of no more than two members per month via this procedure. Access to the space may not be re-suspended by the Board of Directors for the same actions or incidents. Explanation of such suspensions must be submitted electronically to all members." (This proposed bylaws amendment must be signed by 3/4ths of all members before it is adopted)
- Group Photo. The group photo we have is ANCIENT. Literally 90% of those people are gone. New photo is years overdue.
Board of Directors Elections
Results of the elections are as follows:
President: Julia stood for election unopposed.
Vice President: Andrew and Tom stand for VP. Tom won with 7 votes to 3
Treasurer: Enrique stood for election unopposed.
Secretary: Ben stood for election unopposed.
At large seats: Andrew, Mirage, and Kevin stand for at large seats. Mirage and Kevin won the ranked choice vote.