Annual Meeting 2019
- 1 Purpose
- 2 Time and Location
- 3 Participants
- 4 Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- 5 Recognition
- 6 Director Reports
- 7 Project Awesome Reports
- 8 Audit Committee Report
- 9 Member Reports
- 10 Old Business
- 11 New Business
- 12 Board of Directors Elections
- 13 New Members
- 14 Adjournment
From the HacDC Bylaws, Article III, Section 2:
- At the annual meeting, the voting members shall elect the Board of Directors, review and vote on the standing rules and policies of the corporation, receive reports on the activities of the corporation, approve the budget and determine the direction of corporation in the coming year.
Time and Location
Date: Tuesday, March 12 Location: HacDC
Meeting called to order at
Time: 7:00pm By: Karen
- Members Present:
- Members remoting:
- Mirage (Matt)
- Others Present:
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Fundraising Activities - scheduled and proposed
- HacDC is going to have an event at Dupont Underground Tuesday, April 23 - proposal is for demos, public domain films, and musical entertainment. HacDC will approach Words/Beats/Life to see if they would be interested in collaborating
- Board met with the owner of Exiles on U Street about the possibilities for fundraising - they are pretty flexible so there are many options to discuss
- Sign in sheet - we need to show our service to the community with something more tangible - there is a sign in sheet - all members and visitors should sign in.
Testimony at the DC Council DMPED oversight hearing
- Karen Shunk testified
- Was able to meet contacts at DMPED, Focus on the Story, and District Makers Collective
Next Movie night:
- Friday, March 16
- Gravity (2013) directed by Alfonso Cuaron, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney
Vice President's Report
The cash flow spreadsheets should be visible to all present, and there are a couple of things I would like to point out. We continue to have a reserve of approximately $10,000, though this is decreasing because we are spending more money on rent per month than we are bringing in through membership dues. The costs for January were unusually high so look at those numbers with a grain of salt (we were charged for two months rent during that period due to the timing of check cashing, and we had additional one-time payments). The more important number for the future is the $1579/month rent that will continue to cost us in the longer term.
We currently have 21 members in good standing. Due to irregular payment schedules for some members this is not clear from the cash flow spreadsheet but the majority of our members pay through Paypal. Dwolla has recently closed down the service we were using for a handful of our member payments so we are no longer able to collect dues through their platform. We will need to modify the HacDC website to remove that offering and possibly look into other alternatives that have lower fees like Dwolla did (Paypal currently costs us about ~$40/month in fees).
We have not seen any large effects due to fundraising, though we have had a few individual donations that have helped us these last few months. However both donations were from people within HacDC so I don't think we are reaching a wider audience yet for our fundraising.
This is my last month as treasurer, I am resigning and not running again for next year since I have not been living in the DC area for a few months now. To whoever ends up in this board seat, I will reach out to discuss the best way to hand off the credentials and any other pressing financial matters for HacDC (e.g. filing with the IRS to maintain our non-profit status).
Project Awesome Reports
Audit Committee Report
Nobody bothered to form a committee so there's no report. All financial statements including receipts for all purchases are at the space, in the BOD locker, treasurer's folder. The Dwolla statements include member names, the rest don't. -Enrique
Rules of the Road - Code of Conduct Review
- Please review the draft code of conduct at https://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php?title=Code_of_Conduct#DRAFT:_Code_of_Conduct_for_HacDC for discussion at the next member meeting in April
- This has been updated with input from other members and review of codes of conduct of other hackerspaces
More space cleanup
- Need to finish cleaning out back section of basemen
- Mike Ritonia has agreed to install new lock on basement door
- We can use the dumpsters out front (within reason)
- Ideas for basement - besides storage, could we organize a workshop? Maybe metal or woodworking?
Proposal for an intermediate membership type:
- We have a discounted "starving hacker/student" and a keyed, full membership; unlike other spaces, we do not have an intermediate membership
- Typically, the intermediate membership level gives members limited storage, access to 'members wifi' (we would have to set that up) and a few other perks (could work unsupervised in the basement, for example)
- Do we see value in this dues level, and what are the membership services that come with it?
Discussion: need to develop ROI of membership levels, possibly create new benefits. Important to know how many members at what level right now. It would be good to have an effort at the April 23rd event to sign up members or take donations.
Business license expires in June, James will renew it.
Board of Directors Elections
Results of the elections are as follows:
President: Karen stood for election unopposed.
Vice President: John stood for election unopposed.
Treasurer: James stood for election unopposed.
Secretary: Dave stood for election unopposed.
At large seats: Ken and Kevin stand for at large seats unopposed.
Karen moved, Kevin seconded a motion to elect the slate of board candidates in a single vote. Motion to elect the slate passed.
Time: Change me