Annual Meeting Agenda 2009
According to the Bylaws:
- An annual meeting of all members shall take place sometime in January, February or March. The Coordinator in Chief shall select the date, time and place no later than January 31 of each year. The date, time and place of the annual meeting must be posted in the registered office and submitted to members electronically at least two weeks prior to the annual meeting. A petition signed by more than three quarters (3/4ths) of voting members and submitted to the Board of Directors before Valentine's Day may specify a new date, time and place for the annual meeting. At the annual meeting, the voting members shall elect the Board of Directors, review and vote on the standing rules and policies of the corporation, receive reports on the activities of the corporation, approve the budget and determine the direction of corporation in the coming year.
The 2009 Annual meeting will take place on Saturday, February 21, 2009, starting at 5:00 pm. Post-party with food and drinks TBA/TBD.
Potential items to consider:
- Dues - at least one member has suggested we review the dues level and consider lowering dues
- Quorum - at least one member has suggested the bylaws be amended to prevent the voting-in of new members at a meeting from increasing the quorum threshold at that meeting, possibly thereby breaking quorum and ending the meeting prematurely
- Approval of New Members - Under the current system, prospective members can pay membership dues for weeks or months before being officially approved and thus able to enjoy the privileges of membership. Is this something we'd like to change?
- It is proposed to reduce the frequency of business meetings to once per month, both to reduce the amount of formal business upkeep, and to free up Tuesday nights for more involving events.
- It is proposed to change the meeting format to Robert's Rules of Order from the current "MIBS" system.
- It is proposed to change the description of Keeper of the MIBS to include a role as parliamentarian at the meetings, to assist the Minister of Information in cases of parliamentary procedure under whichever meeting format HacDC members choose to adopt.
- It is proposed to add a Quartermaster role to the Board of Directors, whose role would be to oversee space arrangement, utilization, sanitation, and resource management. The Quartermaster would also maintain the HacDC eBay account and would be running auctions of surplus HacDC items on a regular basis.
- It is proposed that no new expenditures shall be authorized in the absence of a current, accurate financial statement certified by the Minister of Finance
- It is proposed that we create a new position of PR Coordinator who will be in charge of advertisement and popularize our events.
A portion of the Annual Meeting is devoted to the election of new Board of Directors, as set forth in the bylaws. The following people have expressed an interest in running for a position:
Coordinator in Chief / President
Minister of Information / Vice President
Keeper of the MIBS / Secretary
Minister of Finance / Treasurer
- Tim C.