The InterMesh is the network of meshes that is separate from the internet either functionally (bandwidth/latency limitations) or fully (completely disconnected).
All these services need to be distributed throughout the InterMesh.
I think we should err on the side of "Secure by default". To make it easy to grow the mesh we can't really set up encryption at OSI layers 1 and 2 (getting people to configure that in a hurry isn't going to work, though we might have some luck if we did with QR codes). I think any services offered on the mesh should offer SSL/TLS by default (we'll have to go with self-signed certs).
- captive portal
- to let people know about the services we are providing
- Something that works like privacybox.de would be ideal in that it's got a short learning curve and a UI that's easy to use from a smartphone or PDA.
- Twitter equivalent
- Common chat networks
- Collaborative notes
- File uploads
- Image dump ala Plixi.
- Streaming audio (low priority)
- Yes, I'd plug my police scanner into my computer and stream what I pick up.
- Voice over IP
- Configure a conference bridge that people with softphones can talk on.
- We'll have to test what kind of latency we get with such a setup.
- Microblog-to-speech using Festival?