Byzantium Live Distro
From HacDC Wiki
We are building a portable live Linux distribution based on Porteus Linux. Porteus itself is a fork of Slax that has been brought up to date with Slackware 13.37 and uses a 188.8.131.52 kernel. Porteus can use binary packages from Slackware 13.37 after conversion to Porteus' native format.
- Make it possible for people in emergency situations to communicate and collaborate.
- Make it possible for people in areas where the communications infrastructure is compromised to communicate and collaborate.
- Provide services to support communication and collaboration.
- Will be secure out of the box.
- Best practices for isolating running services will be followed.
- Best practices for configuration web applications will be followed.
- Least privilege will be followed wherever possible.
- Will be extensively documented.
- A Creative Commons-licensed book will be made available with the Byzantium distribution as well as separately
- Will explain the finer points of setting up a mesh, as well as accompanying projects (such as dialup gateways and long-haul transports).
- Will be translated into as many languages as possible.
- Widely compatible.
- Users need to be able to boot their desktop/laptop/netbook from Byzantium media and set up a node.
- As little fiddling with network drivers as possible.
- Rapidly deployable.
- Users need to be able to configure their Byzantium node rapidly and with little assistance.
- Emergency situations.
- Control panel aims to be as self-documenting as possible.
- Aims to protect confidentiality of traffic.
- Opportunistic IPsec?
- All services default to SSLv3/TLSv1.
- Aims to protect integrity of traffic.
- Meshes should grow without the direction of a central authority.
- Anyone can set up a mesh node.
- Anyone can set up services on the mesh.
- Services packaged by default can be managed (activated and deactivated) from the control panel
- Services packaged by default will come preconfigured with secure defaults and a mobile-friendly theme where appropriate.
- This is a calculated risk. The threat models of Tor and I2P take this into account as well.
- Byzantium nodes need to be rapidly clonable.
- One copy of the live distribution needs to become many on demand.
- Nodes need to be clonable without taking the node down.
- Persistent storage has to be an option.
- Built into Porteus.
- save.dat file
- removable media
- media Porteus is installed to
- Built into Porteus.
- Dependencies will be automatically managed by the control panel.
- Can support multiple mesh routing protocols.
- Modular configuration back end.
- Multiple pre-packaged, pre-configured web applications for communication and collaboration.
- All services can be independently activated and deactivated.
- Aims for security by default.
- Services are not active unless explicitly triggered.
- Services are configured using best practices for security.
- Services support strong cryptography by default.
- Supports gatewaying from the mesh to the Net over a live connection.
- Supports persistent (encrypted) storage on demand (not default).
- Node Control Panel
- File dump/Twitpic work-alike
- Voice chat/telephony server
- Clientless web chat
- Blog - see Microblog
- EtherPad-like thing
- Streaming media server
- HTTP caching proxy
Pick a web server to host applications:
- ...be reconfigurable.
- ...support PHP.
- ...not use too much RAM or disk space.
- ...support passthrough for other apps like
Packages built for Byzantium
- CherryPy - Porteus and Slackware don't package it so I made one for us. It's been checked into Git.
- pySetupTools - Required for installing some Python modules.
- Mako - Python HTML templating system.
- Dependency of the control panel.
- Git - Converted Slackware v13.37 package.
- Curl - Converted Slackware v13.37 package.
- Dependency of git.
- Note: To make git work without "error setting certificate verify locations" errors, you need to run the following command as the root user: git config --system http.sslcainfo /usr/share/curl/ca-bundle.crt
Place links relevant to any part of the process of making this livedistro here.