This is the Policy Manual for HacDC. This is version 0.1. All policy pages are protected and can only be modified by vote of the membership at a membership meeting. A hard copy of the policy in effect exists at HacDC in the Public Inspection Locker
(Note: As of 4/10/08 these pages are still being edited and discussed.)
The Core Policy Concept : C4K
Our core policy concept is Command, Control, Communications, Collaboration, and Khaos. While we are very serious about following our policies, the core concept is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the military concept of C4I, which stands for Command, Control, Communications, Computers and Intelligence. In following the Khaos policy, you might say that we have too many Computers and not enough Intelligence, so we just left those two out for good measure.
- Command: What members and project stakeholders agree upon, in addition to compliance with law and standards of good governance. Our Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, this Policy Manual as well as relevant Membership Decisions and Board Decisions.
- Control: How things get done in the most productive, transparent and honest way possible. How are privileges and access assigned and what are the associated responsibilities? Who is responsible for certain mission critical functions? The Ministers are responsible for day-to-day operations and they, along with the rest of the members, are bound by the Access Control Policy and Financial Operations Policy which includes Fundraising, Procurement, and Financial Reporting.
- Communications: We have an obligation to communicate clearly and effectively within HacDC as well as a duty to communicate effectively with the general public. This policy outlines the technical structure of our communications systems as well as guidelines for communicating effectively as a whole.
- Collaboration: We are here to collaborate. In one word, it is what we do. In serving charitable, educational and scientific purposes, our five point mission statement says that HacDC:
- Build and maintain spaces suitable for technical and social collaboration
- Collaborate on all forms of technology, culture and craft in new and interesting ways
- Apply the results of its work to specific cultural, charitable and scientific causes
- Freely share its research and discoveries, using what is learned to teach others (which is why we follow a very liberal Licensing Policy)
- Recruit and develop talented members dedicated to these purposes
- Khaos: Seeking, manipulating and leveraging Khaos for public benefit is the general policy of HacDC. It is also the only unprotected policy page and designated graffiti wall on our wiki.
This category currently contains no pages or media.