From HacDC Wiki
HacDC is in the process of refurbishing a scanning electron microscope: a Cambridge Stereoscan 200.
Cleaning and assessment in progress.
June 23rd: Summary. Roughing pump works, seals adequate to fire turbo. Probably just needs cleaning and testing, similar in scope to commissioning a new 3D printer. -mirage335
See Stereoscan_Operators_Log for details.
Manuals and Images
- Vacuum gauge: Edwards Penning CP25-k: http://www.idealvac.com/files/manuals/Edwards_CP25K_Cold_Cathode_Gauge_Sensor_Manual.pdf
- Roughing Pump: Edwards E2M-12 255 LPM two stage oil filled rotating vane pump File:Edwards E2M2 to E2M12 Users Instruction Manual.pdf
- Turbo Pump: Pfeiffer Balzers TPH 190
- Similar but smaller unit manual File:Pfeiffer Balzers TPH TPU 110 .pdf
- Table of pumps to compatible controllers File:Pfeiffer table.pdf
Previous owners (757 Labs, another hackerspace) attempting repairs compiled some information at:
- http://757labs.org/2012/09/scanning-electron-microscope-update/ (archival link -- text only) (Internet Archive)
- The original S200 operating instructions are available at the space in a three-ring binder near the machine.
- If possible, members will also have access to a PDF copy of Scanning Electron Microscopy - A Student's Handbook, 1980, self-published by Michael Postek, et al. This book was widely used by microscopists and is still regarded as a good learning reference, but the original binding is rare and prone to falling apart. It might be possible to use the PDF copy for private, educational use.
We'll have a list here of HacDC members who are responsible for the SEM, including people that should be notified about problems.
Plasma Dan K., plasma on IRC. SEM information, documentation, repair information, problems