Code of Conduct
DRAFT: Code of Conduct for HacDC
HacDC’s behavior and safety rules have three primary purposes: (1) to protect the rights and safety of all HacDC members, (2) to protect the rights and safety of guests, and (3) to protect HacDC’s materials, facilities and property.
HacDC supports the right of all members to free and equal access and use of the space without discrimination, intimidation, threat of harm or invasion of privacy. HacDC is dedicated to offering a friendly, courteous and respectful environment to all members and guests.
All members and guests must follow the code of conduct. HacDC directors and members may intervene to stop prohibited activities and behaviors and temporarily expel anyone who violates the code of conduct.
- Ask questions
- Answer kindly!
- Clean up after yourself
- Respect our landlord and fellow tenants
- Interrupt presentations, workshops, or mentoring sessions
- Smoke or bring pets into the space
- Bring or consume alcohol in the space, except in the case of approved special events. All alcohol must be removed from the space at the end of any approved event.
- Disrupt or interfere with the normal operation of HacDC, or disturb members and guests, including but not limited to:
- use of rude or threatening language or gestures
- conduct that creates unreasonable noise
- security violations
- physical violence
Everyone – members and guests – must sign a liability waiver.
- Please use the equipment safely!
- Treat HacDC property with care
- Take reasonable direction from other HacDC members with regard to safe use of equipment, such as use of protective gear or safe handling of tools and equipment.
- Clean up after yourself, including shutting off and unplugging equipment, and returning it to its proper place when finished using it.
- Guests may only attend HacDC if a keyed member is present.
- Guests are encouraged to become members to support HacDC’s mission.
- Guests may use tools in the upstairs space with reasonable supervision, but must be accompanied by a keyed member to use the heavy equipment/tools in the basement area.
- Members are responsible for their guests and their actions.
- Minors may not be keyed members.
- Minors 15 and under must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at all times (no drop offs).
- Parents/legal guardians are responsible for their minor children and their actions.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have their liability waiver signed by a parent/legal guardian.
It is the responsibility of HacDC members to help enforce the code of conduct. If someone is violating the code of conduct, please explain politely to them why their behavior is not acceptable and ask them to stop or to leave. Serious or repetitive violations should be reported to the Board of Directors.