DC Community Hackerspaces
From HacDC Wiki
2017.11.21 "Inaugural" Meeting
- Ken Kenworthy, KnowledgeRealm, (instigator)
- Marvin Gay, Coomunity Outreach Coordinator, Safer, Stronger DC Community Partnerships, out of the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services
- Michael Dodson, Program Assistant, Safer, Stronger DC Community Partnerships, out of the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Health and Human Services
- Dorothy Jones-Davis, Executive Director, Nation of Makers
- Enrique Cobas (ex-exchequer, HacDC)
- Julia Longtin (once and future queen / madame president, HacDC)
- Kevin Cole (Ubuntourist) (fugitive at-large, HacDC)
- Betty Amos (designer, educator, animator Betty Amos Designs)
Neighborhood Artisan Centers (NACs)
- concept paper by Ken
- Makers: The New Industrial Revolution
- The Skills Revolution: The Skills Revolution by The ManpowerGroup.
- Good Sources To Keep Pace with Technology
- "The Singularity Hub, Singularity Hub chronicles technological progress ..."
- 3DPrint.com 3DPrint.com is a news organization dedicated to bringing you up to date on all the latest news from the 3D printing industry.
- Road to VR "Founded in 2011, Road to VR is the world’s leading independent news publication dedicated to the consumer virtual reality industry."
- Science X "a network of high-quality websites that provides the most complete and comprehensive daily coverage of science, technology, and medical news."
- Examples of Project Based/Self Organized Learning, Virtual and On-site Mentors
- Video: Anacostia HS Aquaponics Project, Teens and young adults participating in Aquaponics project at Anacostia High School
- Video: Teens Assemble VR Headset Older teens at Anacostia HS assembling VR headset, supported by volunteers from HacDC and DCVR
- Video: Web Conferencing with Virtual Mentors Older teens at Anacostia HS interacted via web conferencing with Dr. Subhrankar Mukherjee (Subra), India chapter Club of Rome, from Mumbai, and David Li, founder of first Makerspace in China, from Shanghai
- Video: Videoconferencing with Virtual Mentor Older teens at Anacostia HS interacted via web conferencing with Tyrese Gould, daughter of Mark Gould, Chief of the Nanticoke Lenni-Lenape Tribal Nation in New Jersey
Add your notes and thoughts below
Try to make an effort to keep the page sane and readable by using Mediawiki's formatting correctly.
Following up with some of the other local maker/hacker/bio/food spaces in the area (Dorothy):
- Washington, DC
- Northern Virginia
- Baltimore Underground Science Space (BUGGS) (Baltimore, MD; Biospace)
- Catylator (Silver Spring, MD; Makerspace)
- Digital Harbor Foundation (Baltimore, MD; Youth Makerspace (Rec To Tech)
- The Foundery (Baltimore, MD; Focus on economic empowerment - working with City of Baltimore)
- Greenbelt MakerSpace (Greenbelt, MD - Community Makerspace; co-op model)
- KiD Museum (Bethesda, MD; Children's makerspace)
- Open Works (Baltimore, MD; Focus on entrepreneurship)
- Pyramid Atlantic Art Center (Hyattsville, MD; Art makerspace)
- Station North Tool Library (Baltimore, MD)
- Unallocated Space (Severn, MD)
Some of the places, people and events mentioned yesterday, in no particular order (Ubuntourist)
- HacDC Space Blimp videos - very cool!
- Other HacDC activities
- Free Geek - community-built refurbished computers, E-cycling, education centers
- Free Geek provides jobs and free classes to the community - an article by Ubuntourist
- Free Geek Arkansas - Formerly instigated and run by Julia
- Governance nitty-gritty for Free Geek, Portland
- Fab Lab
- Wikipedia: Neil Gershenfeld, Director, MIT Center for Bits and Atoms; Creator of the Fab Lab "blueprint"
- Book: Fab: The Coming Revolution on Your Desktop-From Personal Computers to Personal Fabrication by Neil Gershenfeld. (Highly recommended.)
- Potential partners locally
- John Capozzi, Program Manager at The Office of the Chief Technology Officer, Government of the District of Columbia. He was part of the Broadband Bridge Coalition, and other progressive tech efforts.
- Mike Lee, Senior Advisor, Digital Strategy at AARP Digital Strategy & Membership; Founder, One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Learning Club DC
- Leshell Hatley, Founder and Director, Uplift, Inc. in SE DC. A fantastic program. (LinkedIn profile)
- Phil Shapiro, tweeter/ promoter / dreamer / writer Makezine, OpenSource.com, Twitter, LinkedIn (He can be very good at "getting the word out")
- Greg Bloom - serial digital justice crusader / organizer (no longer in the area but still "connected" to DC)
- Gerald Cooper - Founder, IT Computer Wizkids
- Damon Jones, Founder / Director, STEAM America
- Alex Dehgan, CEO and co-Founder, Conservation X Labs & Chanler Innovator, Duke University. He invited HacDC to participate in the Smithsonian Institute's Earth Optimism Summit Make for the Planet hackathon.
- (If you talk to any of the above, drop my name.)
- Code for DC Brigade of Code for America
- The Open Technology Institute (OTI), a division of the New America Foundation, a progressive think tank in DC. New America Foundation has some fantastic lectures and panels on science, technology, and policy. OTI folks helped the DC Broadband Bridge group set up a neighborhood mesh network, that the DC government was hoping to model when Bryan Sivak ran OCTO. (Alas, the community got cut out of those conversations after Bryan left.)
- Cities of Learning, DC part of Cities of LRNG (pronounced "learning"), mentioned by Ken
- [http://www.sustainabledc.org/ Sustainable DC 2.0] - several education, energy, and urban agriculture goals
- Non-HacDC Past Events (a bit biased: I only know about them cuz I volunteered for and/or hosted them)
- DISCovering TECHnology Fair I (Disco Tech I) - Bread for the City, November 5, 2011 Photos Washington Post article
- DISCovering TECHnology II (Disco Tech II) - Thurgood Marshall Academy, Anacostia, February 25, 2012
- Photos: Software Freedom Day at Takoma Park Folk Festival - Several years (plus some additional gatherings of the Ubuntu DC Local Community, a.k.a. the DC "LoCo")
- Photos: Scratch Day 2013, OLPC Learning Club DC - Mike's a photo junkie and tech junkie. LOTS of good photos. See the rest of his streams.
- OLPC Learning Club (audio) and OLPC Learning Club (slides) - Nortel Networks, August 2008
- Further afield (but in cyberspace, distance is irrelevant)
- Detroit Digital Justice Coalition's Disco Tech Fair - The model for the DC Disco Techs, promoted at the Allied Media Conference. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: The Disco Tech 'Zine featuring articles from both Detroit and DC folks on how to run a Disco Tech (Detroit, MI)
- Qeyno Group / Academy, co-founded and headmastered by Kalimah Atreyu Priforce (Oackland, CA)
- ELiTE Education (Emerging Leaders in Technology and Engineering) - Executive Director, Chelsey Roebuck (New York City, NY)
- OPEN International, Founder: Khady Lusby (Nioro, Mali but Khady lives in Arlington)
- Barre Open Source Institute (BOSI), Founder, director and ringmaster: Paul Flint (Barre, VT)