How to Run an Event
From HacDC Wiki
Revision as of 13:45, 25 February 2013 by Katie
Note: non-public events and charging participants more than the cost of materials are strongly discouraged at HacDC.
- Have an idea for an event. :) If your event is a kit build or lightning talks, we have particular tips for you in addition to the ones on this page. If you're running a class, add the class description, including date and time and anything participants should bring, to Category:Classes.
- Plan where and how to present your content. Options include the space's meeting room or workshop, the auditorium (capacity: 200 people standing; 150 sitting in chairs in rows; 70 sitting at tables), the sanctuary (capacity: 200 people sitting in pews; another 300 can stand or sit on floor), and the dining room (capacity: 300 people standing; 220 sitting in chairs in rows; 175 sitting at tables).
- Assemble any necessary parts.
- Schedule a time
- Use the church's calendar if you want to use the church's auditorium, dining room, or sanctuary.
- Use the the HacDC event calendar to choose a date and time. Please try not to overlap with other HacDC events. Also, please try to give potential participants at least a week's notice.
- If you're not sure when to have your event, consider posting a poll to help you decide. Doodle is one free and easy service for doing so.
- Send an e-mail to HacDC's public announcements@ and (optionally) private @members mailing lists.
- Blog it on our Wordpress site (every member is entitled to a login for our Wordpress dashboard). That automatically tweets it and sends an e-mail to HacDC's public blabber@ list via If This Then That.
- Create a HacDC Meetup event, which automatically adds it to the the HacDC event calendar.
- Consider notifying other groups whose members might be interested. One place to check is this list of DC-area geeky groups.
- Get it listed on DC Tech Events and, if possibly applicable to artists, send it to the DorkbotDC Blabber mailing list or let the overlord(s) know: dorkbotdc [at] dorkbot [dot] org.
- Post signs (e.g., on the red door) directing attendees who've never been to HacDC before.
- Run the event. Share your knowledge. Have fun. Take some pictures.
- At the event, please tell the participants who aren't members about what HacDC is and ask them to consider joining or donating to us. Not confident with your impromptu asking-for-money skills? Try our pre-scripted Spiel.
- How did it go? Blog it! Have suggestions for next time? Add them here!