Regular Member Meeting 2011 08 09
From HacDC Wiki
Note: This page serves as the 2011-08-09 Member Meeting's agenda (before the meeting) and minutes (after the meeting).
Time and Location
August 9, 2011
Meeting called to order at __07:50__ by: Ben the Pyrate
Members Present: Ben, Toast, Tim S., Alberto, Martin, Phil, Brad, Shahar, Xaq, Chris
Others Present: Sean
Quorum met? No.
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Vice President's Report
Treasurer's Report (Tim Slagle)
Here is the July 2011 financial summary: File:HacDC Financials July 2011.pdf
We came out a bit ahead in July due to additional member donations, the robotics class ($200), and $344 in cash collected from the tip jar. Membership revenue are still $600 short of our expenses so thanks to the generous members who are chipping in extra. We ended July 2011 with a reserve of about 2.5 months expenses.
In July, we had 43 paying members, three non-paying members, added two new membership subscriptions (Bjorn Westergard & Stephen Beuttel), and lost one member (Alan McCosh). Shahar Goldin also reactivated his subscription and chipped in for a missing month, so thanks and sorry for announcing his departure prematurely!
I found we were paying $6/mo for a fax service we were no longer using, so I cancelled it. We should have a plan for asynchronously receiving faxes - Google Voice?
Growing interest in Byzantium. We did a lot of talking, but not a lot of coding at the last sprint.
Zine-fest happened. Poorly attended.
A.I. Class coming up in October. We're hosting a study group.
Try to keep the space open more. Have a software night on Thursdays and Tuesdays.
- Alberto on Smithsonian Institution's 3D Imaging Lab's:
- loan of a CNC mill to HacDC. Call for volunteers to transport it, if necessary.
- offer of a 1-hour tour of the 3D Imaging Lab for HacDC members, and
- offer of the the possibility of housing their powder 3D printer at HacDC in order to experiment with alternative powder/binder media. Alternatively, hosting HacDC's 3D printer community of interest for a day of brainstorming/experimentation on alternative media for that printer.
- Alberto on (e)merge Art Fair and HacDC's Brad B helping build a visualization for it which will be branded with HacDC's logo.
- Alberto's friend will be attending the CONNECTED COMMUNITIES Symposium at Culture Lab Newcastle, UK, and will talk about Byzantium.
Paying dues again. Going to get people working on the Prusa Mendel. Better organization of the documentation on the 3D printers would be great. Monthly 3D printing sprint would be good too. Planning another Quantified Self meeting.
Working on a Mylar envelope for a dirigible.
Would like to do an LED lighting project in the classroom. Needs some help with carpentry to make it look nice.
Has been building stuff. We need a show and tell.
- Absent member Katie...
- participated in a build-your-own-Geiger-counter workshop at Tokyo Hackerspace on Monday night. She now has a simple working Geiger counter, consisting of a Freakduino motherboard, a NetRAD shield daughterboard, and a SBM-20 Geiger–Müller tube for sensing radiation. (photo)
- found a four-story ham radio gear store in Akihabara! (photo)
- reports that Hackers on a Plane 9.0: Hackers for Japan brings hackers to Japan this November, with a bargain of a presale price at US$1337. Check it out.
Hi, Sean. Sorry, we don't have quorum so we can't vote you in this month. Come again next month!
Adjourned at: 8:36