Regular Member Meeting 2013 06 11
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- June 11, 2013
- Called to order at 1950 by Ben.
- Members present: Ben, Chris, David, David, Shahi, Rubin, Sherin, Ben, Katie, Alberto, Dan, Mirage, Shawn, 2 others.
- Others present: 1 other
- Quorum met? Yes.
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Regular Member Meeting 2013 05 14 Approved. Previous meeting notes also approved.
Mirage335 & Dan Barlow
Thank you so much for helping the Project Byzantium crew with the troublesome PTT circuit.
Busy with Bzyantium.
Vice President's Report
Here is the financial summary spreadsheet for May 2013: File:HacDC Financials 2013 05.pdf. We gained Alex as a new member (he was voted in last month), and prospective members Jason and Kay have already started paying dues. Matt Lesko left. Five people (members and non-members) made non-dues donations.
We have received ISC grant funds for Project Byzantium and will be tracking those separately from Project Awesome BYZANTIUM vote-directed funds. One thing we will need to decide: will expenditures to fulfill the grant need to be pre-approved (over some minimum amount) by members, or the board, or some other set of people? I suggest deciding we make this an item of New Business.
We had a surplus so I am able to declare a $300 Project Awesome dividend and add $143.94 to our reserves. Here is the Project Awesome spreadsheet for May: File:HacDC PA Projects-2013 05.pdf. There are still 16 votes, with no changes in voting since last month.
All is quiet.
Shawn Nock (unable to attend)
Looked into inventory tracking, depreciation, etc.
Project Awesome Reports
Laser arrived. Need to clear space.. metal lockers will be relocated in the same room. All are asked to empty their stuff from the locker.
Samples of acrylic material from manufacturer shown. Will open box and take a quick look after the meeting.
Need feedback for stock purchases together vs buying your own. Buying together makes it easier to get the really nifty materials.
No one should operate it until they pass a laser safety training course and are signed off. More info later.
Some issues with push-to-talk circuits. Big help from down under with software! Milestone coming up this Friday.
Kitbuild coming up 16 July: DangerShield. Students should buy their own soldering supplies.
Need to reimburse Tim S. for soldering irons: ~$300. (since it's over $250, needs member approval)
- members approved reimbursement.
Easy fire-and-forget operation. Stable and efficient. Essential spare parts available.
Please read Category:PrusaMendel if you haven't used the printer in a while.
Crated, awaiting pickup by owner or repair. Really, this machine is limiting, very difficult to use, no longer needed to repair the Prusa Mendel, and taking up a lot of space.
- Cupcake came here originally not working. Someone replaced a controller board to get it working.. later they needed the board back. And that's its current state.
- Hac will take appropriate steps to do right by the original owner.
Mill stock replenishment may occur soon, pending some testing.
We ought to trade/sell most of our ABS stock. We don't need more than 1kg. PLA is stronger, except in rare (eg. high-temperature/outdoor) situations.
$83.76 Receipts mentioned last month have been reimbursed.
Needs a project contact! (no report)
Three NeuroSky Mindwave devices have arrived. Alexander Stone has developed a workable multiplayer ping pong game based on their raw "activity" data. Also, adding an LT1168 instrumentation amplifier may greatly improve sensitivity.
Biosignal amplifier is producing real EEG data. Occipital lobe alpha waves are cleanly detected when users close their eyes. Further improvements are focused on comfort (ie. sponge electrodes).
HacDC Licensing Policy
Added "by default" to make the policy less restrictive. However, the article might still conflict with other licenses used at HacDC (including GPL), or even inhibit commercial interest in our space. Might be better if the distinction between website content and HacDC hardware/software projects was made explicitly.
At some (unknown - mirage335 is unavailable this weekend) date, help may be needed to bring the optical table to HacDC. It is still awaiting the opportunity and lifting resources to move in at HacDC.
Estimated at ~$3k, the table will enable advanced optical experiments and attract another field of expertise to the space. Otherwise, it is headed for scrap.
In case we cannot figure out something ourselves, we might think about authorizing Project Awesome funds to be spent on a professional moving service.
Note that basement flooded during the heavy rains we've had in the past few days.
May need to purchase a heavy duty dehumidifier.
Calling for 2 volunteers to help with 16 July KitBuild.
Robotics conference on Sunday. MD Robotics center is attending and having an exhibition for high school students. David wants to take the F3 and make a Hac presence.. looking for at least one other to help out.
Put up a white board and cork board. Asking if in gathering donations are storage items of interest? Members say yes.
- Privacy_Policy is put forward for member vote as officially adopted policy. Notification was sent to members on 04May2013.
- In the week since announcing this was up for vote, there has been a lot of discussion and probably not enough agreement to actually vote on it.
- Restored section about photography, without the paragraph about security cameras.
- Policy approved by member vote.
- Licensing Policy is put forward for member vote as officially adopted policy. Notification was also sent to members on 04May2013.
- Note the critical "by default".
- Policy approved by member vote, 1 nay. Nay: not GPL compatible.
- Vote to approve "Article II: Membership" and "Article III: Expenditures and Reimbursements" from the Proposed Standing Rules.
- Articles II and III approved by member vote.
- Shop Rules is put forward for member vote. Such rules as these are pointed to in Article VI in Proposed Standing Rules.
- Shop Rules approved by member vote.
ISC grant: Looking for approval to reimburse funds spent prior to grant money arriving. Member voted to approve grant.
1 visitor, Edward. 1 returning member, Rick
Adjourned at 2131.