Regular Member Meeting 2013 09 10
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- September 10, 2013
- Called to order at _1959_ by Chris.
- Members present:
Katie, Chris, Lee, Phil, Kevin, Rich, Andrew, & Even.
- Others present:
- Quorum met? No
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Can't be approved w/o quorum.
Julia should be, but Hax didn't edit this section like he was supposed to.
ISC Grant is completed. See Project Byzantium report.
Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire is coming up. Please plan to attend and show off what you're working on.
Speaking of Faires, it's Renn Fest season.
What's going on with the Crypto Party? Can we get that on the calendar and start promoting?
Vice President's Report
Here is the financial summary spreadsheet for August 2013: File:HacDC Financials 2013 08.pdf. We gained Ann Millspaugh, Evan Phillips, Jarett DeAngelis, Kay Kenworthy, Brendan Levy, as new, paying members. No members left, though one will be on hiatus until January.
Thanks to fewer delinquent members and an unexpected grant from the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia, we had a healthy surplus this month, so I am declaring a $1000 Project Awesome dividend, which leaves us with $1,481.74 to add to our unearmarked reserves. Here is the Project Awesome spreadsheet for August: File:HacDC PA Projects-2013 08.pdf. There are currently 15 votes.
Project Awesome Reports
Laser printed needs lense cleaning & calibration.
Grant is finished.
- Credit to Dan Barlow, $300 parts obtained for $18, amazing find!
- 600V, 200A, ~1MHz switching speed.
- Stored in blue bucket on parts store shelves. Recommended donation of at least $100, prefer to see them used in equipment available to HacDC members.
PLA Solvent (Tetrahydrofuran)
- Manually polish or glue PLA printed parts with just few drops.
- Small glass bottle, stored inside metal tin on chemical shelf.
- Generally safe as acetone. However, seal tight to minimize oxidization, and wear nitrile gloves.
- Professional quality SMT soldering by the thousand. Recommend laser cutting blue tape for stencils and hot air gun for soldering. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyDRHI4YeMI .
- Stored in fridge, ideally at 10C, for vastly extended shelf life. Not food.
- Toxic, like all solder dust. Minimize contamination, wash hands thoroughly after use.
PCB Milling Bit
- Maximum quality circuit boards, 5 mil diameter.
- Stored in toolbox.
- Tough when spinning, fragile when not.
- Spare hot-end for Prusa Mendel.
- Large plastic buckets.
Still figuring things out including possible bandwidth issues and addressing privacy concerns. He's planning to start working on infrastructure while trying to figure out how to take care of the other issues.
- marine corp marathon
- DSO Nano v3 fail
- DIY laptop - core components are in
Hope my reports aren't getting too long...
General Use Computer
New computer in front room set up for general web browsing, google hangout hosting, etc.
Still going well, still plan to give details later.
New headgear tested, using earplug "sponges" instead of pin headers. Comfortable, works well, even through thick hair.
Would like to have more shelves at HacDC. We are now accumulating considerable quantities of non-junk on floors, such as:
- Working computers, monitors, photo frames networking gear, WiFi antennas, etc.
- Stationery, CDs, floppies.
- Laser/Mill stock.
- Microscopes, lasers, lenses, slides, etc.
- Audio gear.
Giant Fresnel Lenses - Craiglist Expedition for Rear Projection TV
Calling any volunteers to pick up five of these, and deliver them to HacDC for tear-down.
Rear projection TVs, available freely on Craigslist, are now the only known source of the five Fresnel lenses we require. Project is stalled until we get these lenses.
Final Cost Estimate
$128.97 Includes metal-halide light source, projection lens, and condenser lenses. Does not include LCD (which we probably have) or Fresnel lenses (which we probably can't buy).
Optical experiments and design complete. Published, with CAD models, as OpenDisplay.
The Silver Spring Mini Maker Faire is coming up on Sunday, September 29, and we'll have a booth there. Stuff we'd like to bring:
- big vinyl HacDC sign(s), maybe a custom laser-cut stamp, brochures, business cards
- Byzantium demo and ISOs (Sitwon, Haxwithaxe, The Doctor)
- interactive board of alternative circuit materials (Katie)
- spaceblimp payload(s) and photo(s)/video(s)
- biosignal amplifier (Mirage, can you find someone(s) to bring and set this up?)
- HacDC promo video
Has a meet-up for capital staffer types and all HacDC members are invited. He is also requesting someone to help demo 3D printing and maybe help set-up a 3D scanner.
Alex-Wants to learn about Arduinos, surface mount soldering, cnc mill, & laser cutter. Approved by majority.
Adjorned at 2049.