Regular Member Meeting 2014 11 18
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- November 18, 2014
- Called to order at ______ by _______
- Members present:
- Members remote:
- Others present:
- Quorum met?
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Vice President's Report
DRAFT Please direct all design inquiries to the members list.
- the church has signed up for Comcast! Eta ~50 days.
- new network infrastructure is actively in progress.
- wired connections
- chaos VPN
- currently running shell server in the space (email firstname.lastname@example.org for an account)
- soon to be running transparent apt proxy. It will intercept almost all unencrypted requests for Debian, Ubuntu, and mint packages and store the results locally. This will be paired with mirroring of repos done during off hours to (midnight to 6am). Meaning you will be able to run updates in less than a decade and without changing settings. There will be non-debian-based distros supported as well. There will also be locally accessible rsync, ftp, and http repos for those that want to skip the proxy.
- there will not be any hosting of websites to the interwebs avaiable until after comcast is installed and broken in.
- there will be tos for all the communal services. Mostly just the usual disclaimers of liability and various forms of "don't be a dick". They will not in any way assert ownership over anything passing though or residing on the servers. """Discus on members list!"""
- hardware required for remaining servers:
- RAM : specs here
- HDD : all SATA, faster is better but 3Gb/s is enough.
- Sound absorption: Any fiberglass furnace filters would be appreciated. They will be used as air filters on a custom server muffler. Any ~19" quiet fans would also be apreciated.
Here is the financial summary spreadsheet for October 2014: File:HacDC Financials 2014 10.pdf. We gained Don Jones as a new member. We lost Blake Wintermute, Christopher Hermance, Harry Detwiler, and Abraham Abbas. We have 41 dues-paying members in good standing and 6 dues-waived members.
Here is the Project Awesome spreadsheet for October: File:HacDC PA Projects-2014 10.pdf. We continue to have to dip into savings to pay our rent, so no dividend this month. :(
Project LASER is in suspended status and needs to report this month to avoid cancellation. Project SPACECAM should technically have been cancelled but I believe its liaison made a September report that was unrecorded in the minutes so it will have another week to fill in the minutes before its status is re-evaluated.
Zack ++++++++ I participated in the UCP Life Labs Designathon two weeks ago where my team won the award for best prototype, a 3d printed bathroom stall latch for those with limited dexterity or strength Technical.ly DC. Life Labs is UCP's in-house technology initiative and they'd never heard of HacDC. I talking with them about how we locally (HacDC, LifeLabs, whomever else) can form a partnership to develop new technology and products to help those with disabilities. Regardless, I hope to get them all to visit us to see our space and talk about the problems they'd like help with...
Project Awesome Reports
Reimbursed SEM filament. Otherwise, not much happening.
Still running a deficit, still have tools in the basement to setup. Nothing spent.
New server ready for delivery to HacDC. Normal users get shell accounts on the host system, with privileges to launch OpenVZ guests. See Category:Servers and HacDC-shared-m335-1. For lack of a policy, acceptable use guidelines have been written, and may be enforced by loss of remote credentials.
Full Gentoo/Funtoo OS tarballs with KDE and such preinstalled now automatically generated and available for unpacking on fresh computers.
NetPLC finished. Low-cost, ultra-rugged, dual Ethernet/WiFi/XBee network connectivity, no dependency on external computer, and supports many peripherals. Intended to replace existing OccupancySensor, among other uses.
Sincere apologies for not getting to the space sooner and helping with Phil Walker's CNC milling project.
Adjourned at _______ by ________