Regular Member Meeting 2015 07 14
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- July 14, 2015
- Called to order at by
- Members present:
- Members remote:
- Others present:
- Quorum met?
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- Everyone who helped at the National Maker Faire: Bobby, Julia, Matt, Matt Sr., Enrique, Christine, Phil
- Don & HARC for Amateur Radio Field Day.
- Matt for repairing the church's fire alarm system.
- Mike for restoring and backing up the Wiki.
- Matt & Phil for work on the Edmunds Optics grant application.
- Matt & Phil for work on the Capital One grant application.
Vice President's Report
Old Occupancy Sensor, Hacking
Old occupancy sensor is a nifty hack, an OpenWRT WiFi router sporting an internal microcontroller wired to the serial port. Since there haven't been any major issues with it in over a year, I am thinking of leaving it in place for the light sensors.
For the new, NetPLC system RFID support, we still need an appropriately sized electronic latch.
New Shell/VPS server, Starlight, is now online, 8 cores, 16GB RAM. It tends to run a bit hot though, with the RAM DIMMs reaching ~105C.
At the Maker Faire, we reached out to Capital One. We are still following up with them. Coincidentally, AngelHack, partnering with CapitalOne, would like to make us a community partner for their event (some free PR), in exchange for sharing some PR on their behalf as follows.
Interested in making a difference in your community using the power of technology? Here is your chance to do just that, join the Small Biz Dev Hackathon presented by Capital One in Washington DC on 8th & 9th August for an unique opportunity to help small business owners with their everyday struggles. The winning hack will go through the AngelHack HACKcelerator program and have an opportunity to see their idea come to life and help thousands of small business owners. Get FREE tickets with the code “AngelHACK” @ http://bit.ly/smallbizdevhack!
Business minded hackers (*ahem* Nell) should especially check this out.
Bit of a long shot, but if we win, we get $10k in much-needed high-end optical products. Finalists will be announced September 2nd. Greatly appreciate Phil Stewart's advice narrowing the scope of our application to a specific application (microscopic projection/scanning/alignment tool for 3D printers).
I don't have a roster of members in good standing until we get a report of PayPal dues.
A date for a TOOOL Intro Lockpicking class is still to be decided, but upcoming.
Project Awesome Reports
- We need to file a bianual report with the District of Columbia Dept. of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, and we need to change our registered agent. This was previously Martin, who doesn't live in DC anymore. A DC resident must be the registered agent for HacDC.
- Let's discuss establishing a 'qualified users,' list for things like the CNC Mill, Lathe, Laser Cutter, SEM, some chemicals, etc. I think that means appointing some people as qualifiers and doing some kind of training or qualification assessment.-Enrique
- Let's charge fees on MeetUp RSVPs and refund the fees to those who come to the event. I think this will give us a more accurate RSVP count from the start. The events will still be free in the end but we'll be charging a no-show penalty. Discuss... -Enrique
- CryptoParty 2015?
Adjourned by at