Regular Member Meeting 2015 11 10
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- Called to order at xxxx pm by xxxx
- Members present:
- Members remote:
- Others present:
- Quorum met?
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- ITechGeek - Crucial help diagnosing new core router configuration, restoring internet connectivity for the entire building's complex network.
- Bobby, Julia, others. - Lots of help finishing construction around the space. The electronics workstation and shelf reinforcement looks amazing.
Vice President's Report
Church Core Router went down for a day due to a couple hardware failures. Replaced after many hours of work. Many, many thanks to ITechGeek for providing vital information, testing, configuration, and advice. Without his peer review, guidance, and historical perspective, we would not have this working now.
In other news, continuing to colloborate with Makersmiths. Having access to both their and HacDC's tools will quickly go a long way to commissioning everything at both spaces. Have also learned some tricks from the members there, such as endmills with reduced cooling/lubrication requirements.
Our recent experience keeping up with our service-level-agreement in our lease provides a graphic example of the inevitable costs of unattractive elements at the space. Without Julia's help, 20-22 hour days over the weekend were barely sufficient to restore most functionality in time. Had the core router failure occurred mid-week, or I been unavailable, we would have an expensive, public catastrophe on our hands. Further, the actions of one member have had some noticeable cost. Doing better is possible, and pays for itself.
Time to get serious. While some of the concerns that have been raised toward that approach are completely understandable, a safe space with reasonable rules is a well proven model for success, and should be a desirable goal.
- Unfortunately HacDC didn't attend the CFC fundraising / advertising event at NRL that we were invited to. It was pushed back due to weather with two days notice and the members who had volunteered to do it could not change their plans. Attendees had to be cleared two weeks in advance, so no substitutions were possible.
- The check from EventBrite for the lockpicks is MIA; it was for $400. I've contacted EventBrite about the issue.
- Newark / Element 14 wants a wishlist of equipment we would accept as a sponsorship. I'm not sure who wants what. The current working wishlist is here: http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/Category:NewarkElement14_Wishlist
Project Awesome Reports
Jury duty today, unable to be in two places at once. Please honor my bids toward items in the going-out pile, will retrieve within a day or two.
- Hosted an Email Encryption Workshop with help from Nick, Ben, Tom and others.
- Collaborating with High School Tech meetup organizer to host an event at HacDC November 18. Possibly more to come.
- Helped Julia and volunteer Matt rearrange some basement tools and shelving and clean up (yuck). Cleaning would be easier with a smooth floor. Tiles, Vinyl, Paint, something. Screwed in the missing light bulbs. (One. It takes one of me to do that).
- Began labeling the basement shelves (top right shelf being A1 through A6, for example) so we can make an inventory and fix where things ought to be.
- Brought in some equipment on loan to HacDC (labeled as mine): Pyrometer, Sound level (decibel) meter, 30 gram digital scale and a 30kg hang-style digital scale also useful for tensile strength tests as mirage pointed out. They are in my storage area in the basement, I think shelf B1. Use'em but leave the labels on and put them back.
- Looking for a USB-to-ParallelPort adapter so we can have a reliable laser printer in the classroom instead of two or three non-working inkjets.
- Proposal: Allocate up to $500 for improved flooring in the basement front room. Our access to the basement is from the outdoors so dirt gets tracked in all the time. It occasionally floods, which brings in more grime and spreads it around. The current floor is rough cement which is difficult to sweep, mop or generally keep clean and doesn't make for a very good workshop area. I propose we allocate $500 from the general fund to purchase and install improved workshop flooring. We do have to sort out and/or address the flooding at the same time. This price range is for vinyl flooring but we could just paint it (like garage or shop floor paint) as long as the occasional water doesn't ruin it.
- Proposal: Allow the HacDC BoD to take and accept a bid from a certified pest control company to perform bed bug remediation, especially chemical spraying, in the classroom and basement/shop areas of HacDC.
Adjourned by at xxx by xxx