Difference between revisions of "Regular Member Meeting 2016 06 14"

From HacDC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(asdf)
 
(Secretary's Report: done)
 
(11 intermediate revisions by 4 users not shown)
Line 19: Line 19:
  
 
== New Business ==
 
== New Business ==
Proposal for curtains on the classroom shelves. I propose we allocate up to $150 from reserve funds to purchase curtains and curtain rods to cover the classroom shelves during classes where the stuff on the selves is more of a distracting clutter than relevant. -Enrique
+
* Proposal for curtains on the classroom shelves. I propose we allocate up to $150 from reserve funds to purchase curtains and curtain rods to cover the classroom shelves during classes where the stuff on the selves is more of a distracting clutter than relevant. -Enrique
  
Proposal for classroom laptop maintenance/update. I propose we allocate up to $200 from reserve funds for the purpose of refurbishing 3-6 classroom laptops with new hard drives (missing) or SSDs, WiFi dongles as needed, etc, so we can reliably lend them out to students during classes. -Enrique
+
* Proposal for classroom laptop maintenance/update. I propose we allocate up to $200 from reserve funds for the purpose of refurbishing 3-6 classroom laptops with new hard drives (missing) or SSDs, WiFi dongles as needed, etc, so we can reliably lend them out to students during classes. -Enrique
  
Proposal for Project CRISPR. I propose Project CRISPR, with myself as POC for now, so we can learn how to do some gene editing and host some classes (maybe after we figure out what the heck we're doing). I also propose it be funded with $200 from reserve funds to begin, for the purchase of a DIY CRISPR educational kit.
+
* Proposal for Project CRISPR. I propose Project CRISPR, with myself as POC for now, so we can learn how to do some gene editing and host some classes (maybe after we figure out what the heck we're doing). I'm soliciting donations for the purchase of a $150 DIY CRISPR educational kit. -Enrique & Nancy
  
 
== Director Reports ==
 
== Director Reports ==
Line 30: Line 30:
  
 
=== Vice President's Report ===
 
=== Vice President's Report ===
 +
IT systems are good.  Firewall has been more stable since installed in rack so have not replaced yet.  Phone system revamp by ITechGeek and calling the space is working again.  Helped HAM group get on [https://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wires-x/index.php WIRES-X] this past Saturday.  Remote reboot project still waiting on final parts and two SIM cards.
 +
 +
Worked on transferring Windows 10 image from existing 1TB spinning hard drive to new SSD in new classroom computer generously on long term loan by member Ethan M.  Left room for Debian install as well.  BigBlueButton 1.0 was released so web conferencing server is out of commission until that is installed and functional.  ETA is before next Tuesday.
 +
 +
Speaking of next Tuesday, I have established a [http://www.meetup.com/hac-dc/events/231856976/ new Spaceblimp Meetup] on Tuesdays excluding each week of the monthly members meeting.  The first kickoff meeting will be next Tuesday 6/21 hosted at HacDC and available via web conferencing accessible from the HacDC website.
 +
 +
Announcing a get rid of outdated computer junk initiative.  We have accumulated lots of outdated workstations, servers, and printers that are arguably not worth the power they draw.  Any computer hardware (not parts) being stored in the classroom or basement will be disposed of in 3 weeks.  If you have a legitimate reason to keep anything in whole or in part, please send an email to vicepresident at hacdc dot org to stake your claim.  You may then become responsible for said equipment and should put it to good use in a timely manner.  Simply stating what would be useful or needed is not sufficient.  If salvaging parts or components from hardware is worthwhile, you will be responsible for taking action on this before the 3 weeks is up or a separately negotiated grace period.  Rare equipment/parts/components or equipment actively being used in classes may qualify for special consideration with sufficient justification.
  
 
=== Treasurer's Report ===
 
=== Treasurer's Report ===
 +
In May we added pest control as a regular $150/month expense, so our monthly expenses are now $1,250. Our income was $1,691, so it's a decent month for a Project Awesome dividend. A little of that extra money is due to some members being charged in early and late May to make up for not being billed in April. The income for June should be somewhat less than May. Please update your PA preferences among Expansion, Supplies, Ham Radio, SEM and OTR. Note that OTR is very well-funded. Project expenditures were $471, including a new microwave oven, bug spray, an antenna, mounting brackets and some Raspberry Pi parts and accessories so Ethan can do remote IT admin. Ethan is also looking into how to automate some of the Treasurer's duties like monthly billing and sending out payment-overdue notices. I haven't heard from the CFC in regards to our appeal and tax forms for 2016 so I've just asked and hope to hear back shortly.
  
 
=== Secretary's Report ===
 
=== Secretary's Report ===
 +
 +
I will be adding a note to next month's meeting under New Business to approve all standing rules as currently written.
 +
 +
Please peruse the current standing rules and provide any corrections, objections, suggestions, point out anything that particularly outrages, etc, within the next two weeks.  We can vote on anything that needs to be changed at this time as well.  Rules for Quorum, for instance, should be clarified.
 +
 +
The outgoing pile is open again.  I will close it in time for next month's meeting.  Please note that there is a watery hazard above the shelves which constitute the physical location of the outgoing pile, and everything placed there is subject to damage.
  
 
=== Director-at-Large Reports ===
 
=== Director-at-Large Reports ===
Line 40: Line 54:
  
 
==== Matt ====
 
==== Matt ====
 +
Two new servers have been commissioned and seem to be stable, Nebula and Starlight. Both are high-reliability, Starlight is also high-capacity and extremely high-performance. Please request accounts.
 +
 +
Collaborative work on OpticalTableRobot related CNC machinery is going well. More about that later.
  
 
== [[:Category:Project_Awesome|Project Awesome]] Reports ==
 
== [[:Category:Project_Awesome|Project Awesome]] Reports ==
  
 
=== Project SUPPLIES ===
 
=== Project SUPPLIES ===
 +
IT resources for Ethan's RasPi and classroom machine projects.
  
 
=== Project EXPANSION ===
 
=== Project EXPANSION ===
 +
Pin strip headers for Ethan Waldo's RasPi project.
  
 
=== Project HAMRADIO ===
 
=== Project HAMRADIO ===
  
 
=== Project Electron Microscope (SEM) ===
 
=== Project Electron Microscope (SEM) ===
 +
Still waiting on sufficient cash distribution to purchase independent vacuum gauge to ensure sufficient vacuum is being achieved.  This will also remain useful once the electronics are modernized.
  
 
=== Project Optical Table Robot (OTR) ===
 
=== Project Optical Table Robot (OTR) ===

Latest revision as of 15:10, 14 June 2016


Time and Location

Date
Called to order at xxxx pm by xxxx
Members present:
Members remote:
Others present:
Quorum
Quorum met?

Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes

Recognition

New Members

Old Business

New Business

  • Proposal for curtains on the classroom shelves. I propose we allocate up to $150 from reserve funds to purchase curtains and curtain rods to cover the classroom shelves during classes where the stuff on the selves is more of a distracting clutter than relevant. -Enrique
  • Proposal for classroom laptop maintenance/update. I propose we allocate up to $200 from reserve funds for the purpose of refurbishing 3-6 classroom laptops with new hard drives (missing) or SSDs, WiFi dongles as needed, etc, so we can reliably lend them out to students during classes. -Enrique
  • Proposal for Project CRISPR. I propose Project CRISPR, with myself as POC for now, so we can learn how to do some gene editing and host some classes (maybe after we figure out what the heck we're doing). I'm soliciting donations for the purchase of a $150 DIY CRISPR educational kit. -Enrique & Nancy

Director Reports

President's Report

Vice President's Report

IT systems are good. Firewall has been more stable since installed in rack so have not replaced yet. Phone system revamp by ITechGeek and calling the space is working again. Helped HAM group get on WIRES-X this past Saturday. Remote reboot project still waiting on final parts and two SIM cards.

Worked on transferring Windows 10 image from existing 1TB spinning hard drive to new SSD in new classroom computer generously on long term loan by member Ethan M. Left room for Debian install as well. BigBlueButton 1.0 was released so web conferencing server is out of commission until that is installed and functional. ETA is before next Tuesday.

Speaking of next Tuesday, I have established a new Spaceblimp Meetup on Tuesdays excluding each week of the monthly members meeting. The first kickoff meeting will be next Tuesday 6/21 hosted at HacDC and available via web conferencing accessible from the HacDC website.

Announcing a get rid of outdated computer junk initiative. We have accumulated lots of outdated workstations, servers, and printers that are arguably not worth the power they draw. Any computer hardware (not parts) being stored in the classroom or basement will be disposed of in 3 weeks. If you have a legitimate reason to keep anything in whole or in part, please send an email to vicepresident at hacdc dot org to stake your claim. You may then become responsible for said equipment and should put it to good use in a timely manner. Simply stating what would be useful or needed is not sufficient. If salvaging parts or components from hardware is worthwhile, you will be responsible for taking action on this before the 3 weeks is up or a separately negotiated grace period. Rare equipment/parts/components or equipment actively being used in classes may qualify for special consideration with sufficient justification.

Treasurer's Report

In May we added pest control as a regular $150/month expense, so our monthly expenses are now $1,250. Our income was $1,691, so it's a decent month for a Project Awesome dividend. A little of that extra money is due to some members being charged in early and late May to make up for not being billed in April. The income for June should be somewhat less than May. Please update your PA preferences among Expansion, Supplies, Ham Radio, SEM and OTR. Note that OTR is very well-funded. Project expenditures were $471, including a new microwave oven, bug spray, an antenna, mounting brackets and some Raspberry Pi parts and accessories so Ethan can do remote IT admin. Ethan is also looking into how to automate some of the Treasurer's duties like monthly billing and sending out payment-overdue notices. I haven't heard from the CFC in regards to our appeal and tax forms for 2016 so I've just asked and hope to hear back shortly.

Secretary's Report

I will be adding a note to next month's meeting under New Business to approve all standing rules as currently written.

Please peruse the current standing rules and provide any corrections, objections, suggestions, point out anything that particularly outrages, etc, within the next two weeks. We can vote on anything that needs to be changed at this time as well. Rules for Quorum, for instance, should be clarified.

The outgoing pile is open again. I will close it in time for next month's meeting. Please note that there is a watery hazard above the shelves which constitute the physical location of the outgoing pile, and everything placed there is subject to damage.

Director-at-Large Reports

Mike

Matt

Two new servers have been commissioned and seem to be stable, Nebula and Starlight. Both are high-reliability, Starlight is also high-capacity and extremely high-performance. Please request accounts.

Collaborative work on OpticalTableRobot related CNC machinery is going well. More about that later.

Project Awesome Reports

Project SUPPLIES

IT resources for Ethan's RasPi and classroom machine projects.

Project EXPANSION

Pin strip headers for Ethan Waldo's RasPi project.

Project HAMRADIO

Project Electron Microscope (SEM)

Still waiting on sufficient cash distribution to purchase independent vacuum gauge to ensure sufficient vacuum is being achieved. This will also remain useful once the electronics are modernized.

Project Optical Table Robot (OTR)

Member Reports

Adjournment

Adjourned by at xxx by xxx