Regular Member Meeting 2016 08 09

From HacDC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Time and Location

August 9th, 2016
Called to order at 7:50PM by Ethan
Members present: Ethan W., Tom, Ethan M., Nancy, Bobby, Ken, Kevin, Enrique
Members remote: ITechGeek, Mirage, Mike C.
Others present: Tony
Quorum
Quorum met.

Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes

Recognition

New Members

Old Business

New Business

  • We should edit the bylaws so the board of directors' terms are staggered. Having a complete board turnover last year was not great.
  • The White House is hosting a National Manufacturing Day (https://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2016/08/08/call-action-celebrate-manufacturing-today-and-tomorrow) and part of the aim of the event is to "Linking manufacturers to the Maker movement by serving as the anchor tenant for a regional makerspace or supporting maker spaces in schools and after-school programs." I'm not sure what this means for HacDC except that it's a national makerspace/hackerspace event at the White House, down the road, with people who know what government programs can support hackerspaces. The event is Friday, October 7th. If there's a possibility of HacDC having an info table or booth, it sounds like a good idea to me...
  • The memorandum of understanding (MOU) with High School Technology Services that allows them to use HacDC's classroom during business hours is expiring. They would like to renew it.

Four month extension to the MOU passed with 5 in favor, no opposition.

Director Reports

President's Report

Vice President's Report

IT systems are functioning nominally. Replaced the classroom Wifi since the 5Ghz hardware was not stable. Also got the classroom room mic working for the web conferencing. Need to fix whatever broke the WebRTC compatibility. Also fixed a Wifi AP for the church and provided general email support. Haven't set up the Linux repo mirrors yet, plan on doing that soon.

Treasurer's Report

Still fixing the issue that I didn't bill some people in June. Generally things are OK. See sheet below. File:HacDC 2016 - Report-8 (1).pdf

Secretary's Report

Director-at-Large Reports

Mike

Matt

All Starlight accounts also provide SMTP/POP/IMAP email service.

ReverseProxy for HTTP/HTTPS sites on HacDC servers are now redundant.

Project Awesome Reports

Project SUPPLIES

Nothing to report.

Project EXPANSION

Nothing to report.

Project HAMRADIO

Project Electron Microscope (SEM)

Our President Julia has volunteer to cover the delta costs from PA SEM funds to purchase the digital vacuum gauge. Need to work on ordering that.

Project Optical Table Robot (OTR)

Project CRISPR

http://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/HacDC_CRISPR

We received the DIY CRISPR kit and inventoried it. We've made the small classroom fridge a "NO FOOD" project fridge because we now have bacteria cultures in there. The cultures and DNA and RNA require refrigeration. (The bacteria is E. Coli HME63, if anyone is curious.) The recipe ("protocol") takes multiple days due to incubation periods, so we're going through it once to verify we can actually do it with the equipment on-hand. Expect we'll have materials left over to repeat the experiment several more times.

Project Spaceblimp

We have had several fantastic meetings and are starting to break out in to individual teams based on project area outlined in the Spaceblimp 6 page. Please email me or one of the lists if you would like to be on the spaceblimp@hacdc.org email list. We are looking for members to contribute their PA funds for PA Spaceblimp and are taking individual donations that can include parts/components. The Funding team would like to ask the membership about adding a special Spaceblimp donation link directly on the HacDC website, possibly close below the HacDC donation link on the left rail. The Spaceblimp donation link would be up for no more than 6 months.

Member Reports

Kevin reports the FLIR One software on Linux compiles OK and complains no device is connected (which is correct).

Adjournment

Adjourned at 945 PM

IRC Log

2016-08-09 19:28 -!- thomisthoss(~thomistho@c-98-218-139-137.hsd1.md.comcast.net) has joined #HacDC
2016-08-09 19:29 <thomisthoss> foo bar
2016-08-09 19:33 <thomisthoss> baz
2016-08-09 19:39 <thomisthoss> anybody here?
2016-08-09 19:45 <ITechGeek> No
2016-08-09 19:54 <ITechGeek> Yeah
2016-08-09 19:55 -!- HacDC_(6058c64d@gateway/web/freenode/session) has joined #HacDC
2016-08-09 19:56 -!- HacDC_(6058c64d@gateway/web/freenode/ip.96.88.198.77) has joined #HacDC
2016-08-09 19:59 <ITechGeek> 19:13:51 <juri_> and.. back to the clinic.
2016-08-09 19:59 <thomisthoss> meting called to order by Ethan at 1950
2016-08-09 19:59 <thomisthoss> Members present, ITG, ethan, tom, ethan, nancy, bobby, ken
2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> others present, tony
2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> we're short of quorum but nobody has anything on the agenda
2016-08-09 20:00 <thomisthoss> august in DC i guess
2016-08-09 20:03 <thomisthoss> introductions
2016-08-09 20:04 <thomisthoss> kevin and enrique showed up
2016-08-09 20:04 <mirage335> I'm here.
2016-08-09 20:05 <thomisthoss> ok good, we've got quorum and can vote on stuff
2016-08-09 20:05 <thomisthoss> but nobody has anything to vote on
2016-08-09 20:09 -!- summakor(~summakor@96.88.198.77) has joined #HacDC
2016-08-09 20:09 <ITechGeek> No to talking, yes to IRC q:
2016-08-09 20:11 <mchelen2> i'm here too
2016-08-09 20:13 <summakor> hi mike
2016-08-09 20:14 <ITechGeek> Enrique should have access to all pages now
2016-08-09 20:15 <ITechGeek> Categories are edited just like pages
2016-08-09 20:17 <ITechGeek> Files can be uploaded
2016-08-09 20:19 <ITechGeek> There is an embed file button on the edit page
2016-08-09 20:20 <ITechGeek> https://www.google.com/#q=editing+wikipedia+for+dummies
2016-08-09 20:24 <ITechGeek> Juri was on the board last yr
2016-08-09 20:25 <thomisthoss> on the left panel there is an upload file link also
2016-08-09 20:27 <ITechGeek> Print the bylaws changes, put on a clipboard and get people to sign
2016-08-09 20:28 <ITechGeek> Probably take 6-12 months for enough sigs
2016-08-09 20:32 <thomisthoss> mirage are our new starlight e-mail addressed by @hacdc.org?
2016-08-09 20:33 <thomisthoss> ...no i guess not as it would conflict with google apps
2016-08-09 20:34 <mirage335> thomisthoss: @starlight.srv.hacdc.org
2016-08-09 20:35 <mirage335> We *could* manage our own @hacdc.org email through Starlight, but I'd suggest putting that off until next year.
2016-08-09 20:35 <mirage335> Right now, the email isn't redundant through Nebula.
2016-08-09 20:39 <ITechGeek> The major reason our email is hosted by Gapps is by outsourcing the hosting, we don't have to worry about our email being and no one having the time to work on it
2016-08-09 20:40 <mirage335> +1
2016-08-09 20:40 <ITechGeek> Just like the majority of what it takes to run a web site, is handled by Dreamhost
2016-08-09 20:41 <mirage335> ITechGeek: A major reason for providing email service on Starlight is to relay for sites that need/want to manage their own mail. There has already been a request for that capability.
2016-08-09 20:43 <ITechGeek> I didn't say anything against having starlight.srv.hacdc.org MX, just moving @hacdc.org to starlight
2016-08-09 20:43 <mirage335> Right, and I agree with you.
2016-08-09 20:46 <ITechGeek> Is anyone using starlight for outgoing email?
2016-08-09 20:49 <ITechGeek> https://support.google.com/a/answer/2956491
2016-08-09 20:51 <foxlet> I use Mailgun.
2016-08-09 20:56 <ITechGeek> So do I
2016-08-09 20:56 <mirage335> Not yet. The issue was more or less incoming mail more than outgoing.
2016-08-09 20:56 <ITechGeek> HacDC shouldn't use mailgun for Starlight unless HacDC is prepared to pay a bill from some random member's misconfigured script
2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> Hmm.
2016-08-09 20:57 <ITechGeek> Mailgun is free for the first 10k msgs, after that they charge
2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> Well, in any case, Starlight runs its own email server.
2016-08-09 20:57 <mirage335> As do I.
2016-08-09 20:57 <ITechGeek> But because of the reverse DNS, some servers might not want to accept email from it
2016-08-09 20:58 <ITechGeek> But it looks like we can relay 10k emails through Gapps
2016-08-09 20:58 <ITechGeek> 10k / day
2016-08-09 21:00 <ITechGeek> So we can whitelist the church's IP on Gapps, and you could configure Starlight to send all emails out through Gapps if planning to use for outgoing
2016-08-09 21:05 <thomisthoss> Ok.
2016-08-09 21:09 <ITechGeek> What are we voting on?
2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> voting on new MOU
2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> with HSTS
2016-08-09 21:09 <thomisthoss> renewing the same MOU
2016-08-09 21:09 <ITechGeek> Abstain
2016-08-09 21:10 <thomisthoss> passes with 5 in favor and some abstentions and mirage unheard from
2016-08-09 21:10 <thomisthoss> four month extension
2016-08-09 21:11 <thomisthoss> uh, the timestamp is about 8 minutes fast?
2016-08-09 21:12 <mirage335> I would have abstained from that vote anyway.
2016-08-09 21:19 <ITechGeek> Meeting over?
2016-08-09 21:26 <thomisthoss> no
2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> nope
2016-08-09 21:27 <thomisthoss> chelen are you here?
2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> mchelen2, hello?
2016-08-09 21:27 <mchelen2> yah
2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> report?
2016-08-09 21:27 <mchelen2> no sorry :(
2016-08-09 21:27 <summakor> mirage335 ?
2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> here
2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> On the wiki.
2016-08-09 21:28 <summakor> oh, reading that report
2016-08-09 21:28 <summakor> ok
2016-08-09 21:28 <mirage335> Thanks for asking.
2016-08-09 21:31 <ITechGeek> CRISPR is why Julia said she's avoiding HacDC
2016-08-09 21:31 <ITechGeek> She doesn't want anyone weaponizing what she has.
2016-08-09 21:32 <juri_> ACTION returns from clinic.
2016-08-09 21:32 <juri_> I am not dead. technically.
2016-08-09 21:33 <ITechGeek> You missed them talking about CRISPR
2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> Than talking about Ethan farting
2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> I meant then
2016-08-09 21:34 <ITechGeek> I guess they're still talking about CRISPR
2016-08-09 21:35 <mirage335> juri_: Get well.
2016-08-09 21:36 <rojisan_roaming> do we send juri to rio for healthcare?
2016-08-09 21:36 <thomisthoss> Huzzah, Juri, so glad to hear of your continued not being dead
2016-08-09 21:37 <ITechGeek> No, she has to deal w/ a third world medical system
2016-08-09 21:37 <ITechGeek> A medical system where you can only get what you can afford
2016-08-09 21:38 <rojisan_roaming> such cruelty
2016-08-09 21:38 <juri_> it's been a rough month. i think i should just announce that i will bu unwell for a month of 2017, an that seemo to be the pattern.
2016-08-09 21:38 <rojisan_roaming> as long as you pick the right month
2016-08-09 21:42 <rojisan_roaming> i was thinking maybe if we get juri some zika, she could be an nih case
2016-08-09 21:51 <ITechGeek> Zita would be scared of what juri has
2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> adjourned
2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> at 945
2016-08-09 21:54 <thomisthoss> good night