Regular Member Meeting 2017 01 10
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- Called to order at xxxx pm by xxxx
- Members present:
- Members remote:
- Others present:
- Quorum met?
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
- Bylaws amendments are pending. print. Sign.
February 11: Request for Participation at MLK (DCPL) tech event
- RSVP ASAP February 11: D.C. Public Library asking for HacDC participation in a "Teen Techathon" for Black History Month. But they wanted a Google form filled out by January 1 !!! When I contacted them and said "Jan 1? Are you nuts???" we received a "stay of execution" because we would be a "booth" at the event. Still, expediency would be appreciated. Since they already have a Fab Lab with 3D printers, laser cutters, wire bender, etc. perhaps Space Blimps, ham radios, or interesting microprocessor stuff would fit better.
Wacky Wiki / Wiki Hacky
- In attempting to get a list of registered wiki users, I noted "billions and billions" of randomly generated usernames (ubuntourist)
Project Awesome Reports
Reminded our treasurer of some un-reimbursed expenses.
No activity to report.
Project Electron Microscope (SEM)
Project Optical Table Robot (OTR)
- We now have a NinjaFlex extruder head for the Lulzbot Mini. When and how to test it out, TBD. (ubuntourist)
- The cryptoparty is Saturday, January 28 from 10am to 4pm. We have three or four HacDC speakers and three or four invited speakers. We could use some help! We should make a flyer and start printing it and putting it up to spread the word, the day of we'll want to set up WiFi in the auditorium, arrange projectors, chairs & tables, order pizza and collect pizza payments and donations, etc, heeeelp! (enrique)
Vice President's Report
We finished 2017 with roughly $8,000 in reserves (6-7 months) and $4,500 in project earmarks (mostly OTR), so about $12,500 in the bank. Our revenue is very reliant on membership dues (about $17,500) despite more donations than usual ($2,500 this year) and $500 in sponsorship.
We were in the black December to the tune of $228. I'm also revising November; we did $300 better than I'd calculated before, so $344 in the black. Not sure where the spreadsheet mistake was. Since reserves are fine, I'm allocating the surplus for both months ($572) to Project Awesome projects. I haven't calculated the dividends and balances yet though. In fact I'm getting tired of doing that. It's a whole other spreadsheet.
As usual, the rent is going up. Starting soon it will be 5% more and we'll be about $50/mo closer to breaking even. I believe we lost two members in December (Jamie and probably Sumter) and gained two new ones (Ben and Andrew).
Tomorrow (Wed) night I'm going to a free legal clinic hosted by DC Pro-Bono Bar (hat-tip to ArteTechnica). The main reason is that last year's donations exceeded the threshold where you need a solicitation license ($1,500), so we should probably get one and check any other paperwork so HacDC can qualify for grants in the future.
We lost the test cart facility due to an honest communication fumble between three reasonable people who most likely would not have undertaken the disassembly on their own. For the future, we can do better.
Aside from that, HacDC has had a good year, getting back on its feet. Next year, we may be able to focus on growth.
Adjourned by at xxx by xxx