Regular Member Meeting 2018 05 08

From HacDC Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Time and Location

Date May 8, 2018
Called to order at 7:45 pm by Karen
Members present: Tayeb, Kevin, Bobby, Tom, Ken, Karen
Members remote: Julia
Others present: Cliff, Dave
Quorum 7
Quorum met? Yes

Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes

Motion to approve Tayeb, second Tom, approved

Recognition

Kevin attended Library Week and made contacts for HacDC, lots of conversation about fostering connections between maker organizations and libraries in rural and/or otherwise under-served areas.

Dan Snedden from the American Library Assn visited HacDC 4/26 at Kevin's invitation and met with Kevin and Ken

Julia and Kevin represented HacDC at the March for Science

Kevin and Nic attended a meeting of the District Maker Collective

New Members

Dave wants to join - Tom moved, Tayeb seconded, general acclamation

Old Business

Offer of a loan of tools by Bobby, including a 12-ton jack. Need to create a storage space/work space for them first. Metal saw, circular saw, tile saw, jack, plus a few other items. First step clear out front area near the laser cutter, set up a work area, maybe with a vacuum to keep laser cutter from getting too much dust in it. Make sure the space is safe.

New Business

Capitol Hill Maker Faire

  • Call participants: Trey, Tom, Ken and Kevin
  • Faire Date: June 12
  • Faire Time: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
    • 9:00 - 3:00 = Panels
    • 5:00 - 8:00 = Faire / exhibits
  • Faire Place: Rayburn Building
    • Indoors. Table and power provided
    • Trey is gathering a list of acceptable materials
  • Faire Target audience:
    • 1/5 (?) congressional representatives
    • 1/3 (?) funding agencies: (NSF, NIH, IMLF, etc.)
    • General public
  • 100 tickets to the panel sessions
  • Decide by 2018.05.09 (after member's meeting) but can be revised later:
    • List of projects - Ideas from meeting: Cliff's raspberry pi projects, tiny drones, HacDC free software, entrepreneurship (Conduit Sports/Nic/Mirage?), 3D scanning/printing
    • Point of contact - Kevin
    • Materials being brought in - raspberry pis, conduit sports, laptops
    • Table should include info (brochures, fliers, posters, video), at least one "participatory" demo, other projects
    • Soldering / desoldering probably allowed. Trey is checking
  • Previous faires in 2015 and 2016. None last year.
  • In cooperation with Nation of Makers
  • Trey is (was?) a biologist who got into the educational aspects of making / hacking. He and Dorothy (Nation of Makers) largely responsible for the first DC Mini Maker Faire down at the Waterfront a few years ago.
  • Congressional Maker Caucus is composed of "about 20" Congress-things, and is "very bipartisan"

Project Awesome Reports

Project SUPPLIES - Mirage

Project EXPANSION - Mirage

Project HAMRADIO - Jeff

Project Electron Microscope (SEM) - Julia

Project Optical Table Robot (OTR) - Julia

Interest, no activity

Project CRISPR -Enrique

- Report and updates

Project SpaceBlimp -Enrique

- Report and updates

Project Media Outreach - Matt

Project IT Infrastructure - Tom

Member Reports

Director Reports (Governance related stuff)

President's Report

I received a lot of good feedback on a code of conduct/rules of the road at the last member meeting/bod meeting but have made no further progress. Good suggestions from a visiting maker from Orlando for forms (jot forms).

Vice President's Report

   20:44 < hacdc-meeting-op> installed a duplexer and ordered a ram module upgrade for the hp printer
   20:44 < hacdc-meeting-op> openwrt router for classroom on archer C7

Treasurer's Report

More slow recollection of past dues. With the retroactive dues paid by several members, we more or less broke even this month.

There was an issue with the Paypal payments for several of the members whose dues had not been collected over the past 7 months, but after talking with support that appears to be resolved. As such we have already collected many more past dues this month and will collect many more soon. We are currently charging affected members $100 a month ($40 over normal dues for most people), and most people owe about $360 or $420 so the dues should be paid back in 8 months.

Vote to reimburse Julia for the IPS monitor and the little red wagon ($185) passes. Vote to reimburse Tayeb for 10 HacDC keys ($25.71) passes.

Secretary's Report

Director-at-Large Reports

Kevin

Nothing additional to report.

Ken

Drafted a project proposal to formalize a lot of the ideas around implementing a program in partnership with a community-based organization in an under-served area: do demos, make connections, get feedback on proposed project. Need space/support/partner. Shooting to have draft ready for review by HacDC membership next month.

Adjournment

Motion to adjourn by Tom, seconded by Dave, meeting adjourned at 9:04