Regular Member Meeting 2018 05 08
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- Date May 8, 2018
- Called to order at 7:45 pm by Karen
- Members present: Tayeb, Kevin, Bobby, Tom, Ken, Karen
- Members remote: Julia
- Others present: Cliff, Dave
- Quorum 7
- Quorum met? Yes
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Motion to approve Tayeb, second Tom, approved
Kevin attended Library Week and made contacts for HacDC, lots of conversation about fostering connections between maker organizations and libraries in rural and/or otherwise under-served areas.
Dan Snedden from the American Library Assn visited HacDC 4/26 at Kevin's invitation and met with Kevin and Ken
Julia and Kevin represented HacDC at the March for Science
Kevin and Nic attended a meeting of the District Maker Collective
Dave wants to join - Tom moved, Tayeb seconded, general acclamation
Offer of a loan of tools by Bobby, including a 12-ton jack. Need to create a storage space/work space for them first. Metal saw, circular saw, tile saw, jack, plus a few other items. First step clear out front area near the laser cutter, set up a work area, maybe with a vacuum to keep laser cutter from getting too much dust in it. Make sure the space is safe.
Capitol Hill Maker Faire
- Call participants: Trey, Tom, Ken and Kevin
- Faire Date: June 12
- Faire Time: 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
- 9:00 - 3:00 = Panels
- 5:00 - 8:00 = Faire / exhibits
- Faire Place: Rayburn Building
- Indoors. Table and power provided
- Trey is gathering a list of acceptable materials
- Faire Target audience:
- 1/5 (?) congressional representatives
- 1/3 (?) funding agencies: (NSF, NIH, IMLF, etc.)
- General public
- 100 tickets to the panel sessions
- Decide by 2018.05.09 (after member's meeting) but can be revised later:
- List of projects - Ideas from meeting: Cliff's raspberry pi projects, tiny drones, HacDC free software, entrepreneurship (Conduit Sports/Nic/Mirage?), 3D scanning/printing
- Point of contact - Kevin
- Materials being brought in - raspberry pis, conduit sports, laptops
- Table should include info (brochures, fliers, posters, video), at least one "participatory" demo, other projects
- Soldering / desoldering probably allowed. Trey is checking
- Previous faires in 2015 and 2016. None last year.
- In cooperation with Nation of Makers
- Trey is (was?) a biologist who got into the educational aspects of making / hacking. He and Dorothy (Nation of Makers) largely responsible for the first DC Mini Maker Faire down at the Waterfront a few years ago.
- Congressional Maker Caucus is composed of "about 20" Congress-things, and is "very bipartisan"
Project Awesome Reports
Project SUPPLIES - Mirage
Project EXPANSION - Mirage
Project HAMRADIO - Jeff
Project Electron Microscope (SEM) - Julia
Project Optical Table Robot (OTR) - Julia
Interest, no activity
Project CRISPR -Enrique
- Report and updates
Project SpaceBlimp -Enrique
- Report and updates
Project Media Outreach - Matt
Project IT Infrastructure - Tom
I received a lot of good feedback on a code of conduct/rules of the road at the last member meeting/bod meeting but have made no further progress. Good suggestions from a visiting maker from Orlando for forms (jot forms).
Vice President's Report
20:44 < hacdc-meeting-op> installed a duplexer and ordered a ram module upgrade for the hp printer 20:44 < hacdc-meeting-op> openwrt router for classroom on archer C7
More slow recollection of past dues. With the retroactive dues paid by several members, we more or less broke even this month.
There was an issue with the Paypal payments for several of the members whose dues had not been collected over the past 7 months, but after talking with support that appears to be resolved. As such we have already collected many more past dues this month and will collect many more soon. We are currently charging affected members $100 a month ($40 over normal dues for most people), and most people owe about $360 or $420 so the dues should be paid back in 8 months.
Vote to reimburse Julia for the IPS monitor and the little red wagon ($185) passes. Vote to reimburse Tayeb for 10 HacDC keys ($25.71) passes.
Nothing additional to report.
Drafted a project proposal to formalize a lot of the ideas around implementing a program in partnership with a community-based organization in an under-served area: do demos, make connections, get feedback on proposed project. Need space/support/partner. Shooting to have draft ready for review by HacDC membership next month.
Motion to adjourn by Tom, seconded by Dave, meeting adjourned at 9:04