Regular Member Meeting 2018 10 09
From HacDC Wiki
Time and Location
- Date 10/9/2018
- Called to order at 7:40 pm by Karen
- Members present: Karen, Kevin, Bobby
- Members remote: Tayeb, Tom
- Others present: Dave
- Quorum 6
- Quorum met? No
Approval of Previous Meeting's Minutes
Kevin has done a huge amount de-lousing the wiki - thank you! Tayeb did a lot of work researching the rent history which hopefully satisfies the church Tom hosted a gaming night which I heard was a lot of fun and may be repeated if he gets help
Project Awesome Reports
Project SUPPLIES - Tom
Project EXPANSION - Tom
Project HAMRADIO - Jeff
Project Electron Microscope (SEM) - Julia
Project Optical Table Robot (OTR) - Julia
Project CRISPR -Enrique
Project SpaceBlimp -Enrique
Project IT Infrastructure - Tom
- Finish up work on the draft proposed code of conduct/rules of the road - I'll try to have that done for a bod review in two weeks
- Meet with Tayeb to discuss setting up a gofundme page to close the gap between rent and dues, as well as a few other items (I guess that's Tayeb's to do now, too :) )
- Movie night - first film will probably be October Sky - bio of Homer Hickam, NASA engineer and hacker/rocketeer
Vice President's Report
I've been coming up on my 3 years on the board here and trying to reflect and come up with some actionable ideas.
I'm not coming up with much that's positive. Here's something I wrote:
"HacDC's hallmark is a series of behaviors both specific to individuals and ingrained deeply into the culture and even physical presentation of the space, that are, often deliberately, designed to undermine the proper function of HacDC as a well run, welcoming, resource-full commons. I don't think there is capacity or interest to address these dysfunctions, in any process, no matter how clearly enumerated or described. I'm convinced of these facts and so at an impasse, as I think contributing to a welcoming commons is really the core value that brings me to spend my time and energy here at HacDC. Since I can't in good faith ask others to contribute to a project who's value is lost to me, I will resign from my seat on the bod at some time in the near future, ahead of our next annual meet. I will probably begin a long break from the space as well after that."
- With any luck, I've successfully de-clogged the Lulzbot Mini, although it has not been tested.
- Progress has been made in de-clogging (de-spamming) the wiki: 4,000 spam pages gone and a whopping 25.460+ spam accounts have been eliminated. The wiki has been upgraded from MediaWiki 1.20 to 1.27 -- the latest allowable by our host provider at this time, though not the latest available, and it has been locked down as tight as I can lock it, because I don't want to wade though the month-long process ever again. (That said, no security lasts forever...) Progress continues apace.
Adjourned by at 8:33 by popular acclamation