Simple project server, comparable to Shimmer. Increased emphasis on performance and redundancy.
Most likely, this server will continue operating for several years, even as newer and better servers supplant it.
For discussion purposes, server is nicknamed "Starlight".
- 1 ChiefAdmins
- 2 Support
- 3 Login
- 4 CommandReference
- 5 Characteristics
- 6 Redundancy (RAID)
- 7 Policies
- 8 NamingConvention
- 9 Timezone
- 10 Workarounds
- 11 Disclaimer
- 12 Credits
- 13 Reference
Julia "juri" Longtin Matthew "mirage335" Hines
On any unix terminal emulator, enter the command:
ssh <userName>@router.hacdc.org -p ####
On other platforms, try applications like PuTTY with similar settings.
Routinely important commands unique to this server documented as follows.
- CPU - Dual Processor, Octo-Core
- RAM - 8GB
- HDD - 750GB
- Hostname - HacDC-shared-m335-2
- FQDN - HacDC-shared-m335-2.hacdc.org
None yet, keep backups. Nonetheless, hard disk is kept cool, so the server should have a long life ahead of it.
HacDC members with a demonstrable need or willingness to manage non-root users may be given root access. Imperative that root users do not jeopardize uptime.
All HacDC members are welcome to non-root shell accounts, directly provided by the server.
Internal server email will notify users, if feasible, on the following schedules, subject to change.
- Three days before planned downtime exceeding one hour.
- One week before planned permanent downtime (obsolescence).
Forwarding to another email address is possible with the following command.
echo 'firstname.lastname@example.org' > ~/.forward
- Up to three months before removal of ex-member accounts. Exceptions on a case-by-case basis.
- Users should regularly backup critical data offiste.
- Onsite data storage is not guaranteed to be reliable.
- All server data may be deleted after obsolescence.
- Removed accounts may be deleted immediately and permanently upon deactivation.
Machine is physically accessible to all keyholding HacDC members. Although HacDC members are generally responsible, privacy should not be expected.
Disk space is limited, but can be upgraded. Please do not needlessly use more than a few tens of GB.
Sharing of account resources is permitted, however, additional resources will be allocated according to individual member needs for specific purposes. As a reminder, compromised accounts will be immediately removed as discovered.
Although HacDC has a high-capacity 85/15Mbit link, it is shared with other tenants. Please be courteous. If internet bandwidth use is required for downloading large files, between 2200 and 0600 is best.
Hard bandwidth limits have not been set to ease administration of local file servers. However, please configure applications to limit maximum bandwidth use where possible, particularly for web servers.
- NOTE: If your bandwidth use is too high during normal hours, the church administrator will cut bandwidth available to the whole subnet and will call ITG or Haxwithaxe to resolve the issue (neither will be happy).
Preferred network names for participating machines and virtual machines.
- HacDC - Identifies machine as HacDC or HacDC member property on the local network.
- shared - One of private, restricted, shared. Private = one member only (eg. RasPi). Restricted = limited access (eg. HacDC web server). Shared = shared resources (ie. remote shells).
- m335 - Abbreviated member name or screen name. Full contact details should be written on the physical machine.
- 1 - Unique identifier.
- mirage335 - Local username.
- 1 - Unique machine identifier.
EST/EDT aka US Eastern, America/NewYork, or "Eastern"
Due to limited bandwidth, SSH sessions may freeze. To prevent this, consider the following to configuration, appended to client-side ~/.ssh/config .
Host * ServerAliveInterval 30
No guarantees. Admins are expected to make best efforts toward reliability, security, and privacy. Monitoring may include without limitation system health, resource consumption, and authentication failures, and the like. More intrusive monitoring, such as of user filesystems, should be avoided if possible.
Excepting the case, reasonably requsitioned as a supply, the server is property of Julia Longtin. Administration is at the discretion of her and designated admins.
Julia Longtin - Donated core hardware.