From HacDC Wiki
Revision as of 08:03, 31 March 2014 by Plasma (talk | contribs) (→Resources: more)
HacDC is in the process of refurbishing a scanning electron microscope: a Cambridge Stereoscan 200.
March 30th: Moving complete! The SEM is now in the workshop.
March 29th: Awaiting pick-up and installation (March 29th and 30th).
March 23rd: A space in the workshop has been cleared. Photo: http://i.imgur.com/BDNWL5z.jpg
Maintenance and repair logs will be kept on an ongoing basis. For previous status and repairs, see:
- The original S200 operating instructions will be available at the space in a three-ring binder near the machine.
- If possible, members will also have access to a PDF copy of Scanning Electron Microscopy - A Student's Handbook, 1980, self-published by Michael Postek, et al. This book was widely used by microscopists and is still regarded as a good learning reference, but the original binding is rare and prone to falling apart. It might be possible to use the PDF copy for private, educational use.
- SPI supplies: http://www.2spi.com
- O-ring supplier: 
We'll have a list here of HacDC members who are responsible for the SEM, including people that should be notified about problems.
- Apiezon M vacuum grease for "O" rings, to be used for vacuum seals at room temperature: http://www.2spi.com/catalog/vac/apiezon/apiezon-m.php ($70 for 25g).
- Replacement "O" ring for chamber->gun vacuum tube, for the chamber-side mounting adapter. (Will this work? http://www.grainger.com/product/O-Ring-1RHY8)